PDA

View Full Version : Wandering Tattler

edward saltau
01-16-2008, 06:47 AM
I photographed this little guy in the rain while i was on a surfing holiday on the island of Rarotonga (Cook islands). I found them quite easy to get close to. As long you approach slowly they usually disregard you and wader right by a few minutes later.

I feel a bit guilty for posting without making plenty of comments on other threads but I'm sure as i spend more time on this site i'll learn how to critique more effectively...

OK, canon 40D & 90-300mm 4.5 5.6 @300mm
1/250th @ f 7.1 with +1 exp. comp
ISO 800

Fabs Forns
01-16-2008, 04:19 PM
Hi Edward,

The bird and composition look pretty good, The sky is totally blown and is distracting. If it were all white (like blown sky) it would be a high key image and sometimes the only way to get details on a bird. Here it is in conflict with the image. If you can, and it is OK with your ethics, you can mask the bird and reproduce the rocks, either by patch tool, quick mask or cloning, to make it look much better.

Don't be shy and think you need to be an expert to critique. You can say just what you like or don't like about an image. That should get you started ;)

Judd Patterson
01-17-2008, 12:14 AM
Hey Edward! In a case like this where there are no details in the sky, it might actually be better to increase your angle to the subject (I know, it defies most of our advice) so that you would have more rocks as background rather than blown out sky. Great job getting close to this species and I like the rain drops falling in the image!