PDA

View Full Version : Re-sizing for web w/ cs4 problem

denise ippolito
10-27-2008, 08:55 AM
Since I've downloaded cs4 I can't seem to size for the web. Anybody else having this problem?

Maurice Allen
10-27-2008, 09:25 AM
I am having an issue but thought it was me. I created an action and it is putting my files in at 350 something instead of 140 something. I can do it manually and it will work fine. I am going to recreate my j-peg action and see if I made a mistake.

Robert Amoruso
10-27-2008, 02:14 PM
Maurice,

In CS3 and before you cannot record an action to size to a certain file size, just quality using Save for Web. I checked this out and found it posted in an Adobe support forum. My action for JPEG takes it right the sharpening and then I save manually. Your other option is to use a low quality that generally comes in at 200kb or lower. FOr birds I find Q=85 gets in below 200kb most times. With landscapes, Q=50 can occur 25% of the time for that file size.

Denise,

I have CS4 but have not tried it out. I do not see how this can be. Are you saying that the Save for Web option is not in the File menu?

Chris Starbuck
10-27-2008, 04:30 PM
Denise,
I've been using CS4 for a week now, and have used "File > Save for web > optimize to file size" frequently. One specific image came in a hair over the 200KB limit when I specified 200KB (so I reran it at 195KB), but other than that, no problems. The File menu choice is now "Save for web & devices..." instead of just "Save for web..." (as it was in CS2; I skipped CS3), and the dialog looks somewhat different, with more choices, but "Optimize to file size" is still on the flyout menu.

Can you be more specific about your problem?

Maurice Allen
10-27-2008, 05:47 PM
Robert,

Thanks, I will try a new action and stop at sharpening. I was building my action from a post from Artie, image looks great but file size is too large.

denise ippolito
10-27-2008, 06:42 PM
Hi Guys, Thanks for all your input. I do know where the Save for web option is. What is happening is after I resize image then sharpen I put it thru save for web on jpeg optimized at197 because 200 is too big . That is when I end up w/ too lg . a file for BPN . It goes right into my web-site no problem. I think it's when I am going into image size then sharpening. I got it to go today after several tries- but last nite the best I could manage was 12% quality . I'll keep plugging at it. It is just frustrating. Thanks everyone.

Maurice Allen
10-27-2008, 08:54 PM
You need to change the "Desired file size" to something less than 200kb, I have been using 145kb.
There is a good link.

[http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=839

Jackie Schuknecht
10-28-2008, 09:51 AM
Hi Denise,
I am sure you are doing all this. Using Bi-cubic smoother first to downsize the pic with 800 for the largest measurement and then going to Save for Web and devices and then save for the file size closest to 200?