PDA

View Full Version : 3 elements

Andrew George
01-16-2008, 06:41 AM
Not a typical Dutch scene I think, so I was happy to photograph it in The Netherlands.

It was a very cloudy day, so perfect conditions for these kind of photos.

Captured with a shutter speed of 0,6sec.

Mike Moats
01-16-2008, 08:39 AM
Hey Andrew, I love these intimate scenes in nature. The leaf has such a nice quaility in the color and light, and it contrasts really well against the dark BG. What makes this work well is the leaf is great main subject, and the rest makes a good supporting cast. I wonder if you tried any slower shutter speeds for a silkier look in the water.

Andrew George
01-16-2008, 08:55 AM
Thanks Mike for your compliments.
I did try a longer shutter speed, but that gave me trouble keeping sharpness on the leaf as I used the 200-400 VR lens @ 400mm on a tripod ofcourse. I didn't seem to get the ultimate sharpness with longer shutter speeds, maybe having the tripod on a muddy grassfield and the long mm's. I didn't bring a macro lens that day :(

Robert O'Toole
01-16-2008, 09:28 PM
Andrew,

Love the image, contrast in colors and the beautiful light work great.

With VR and IS lenses sometimes it helps to go longer with shutter speeds, sometimes the moderate speed show more movement that the longer speeds. Also sometimes it really helps to activate the VR or IS way before you activate the shutter.
I am a big fan of long shutter speeds I ofter shoot from 1/20 to 1 sec or more with my 200-400 VR and Canon 600 IS with 1.4 and sometimes 1.4+2.0 extenders.

Nice work,

Robert

Jim Caldwell
01-16-2008, 09:49 PM
Great image and very nicely done. The smooth running water constrasts nicely with the detail in the leaf and the cool blues of the water also contrast well with the warmer tones in the leaf.

Fabs Forns
01-16-2008, 10:15 PM
Beautifully done. I also wonder about even slower shutter speeds :)

Andrew George
01-17-2008, 02:07 AM
Andrew,

Love the image, contrast in colors and the beautiful light work great.

With VR and IS lenses sometimes it helps to go longer with shutter speeds, sometimes the moderate speed show more movement that the longer speeds. Also sometimes it really helps to activate the VR or IS way before you activate the shutter.
I am a big fan of long shutter speeds I ofter shoot from 1/20 to 1 sec or more with my 200-400 VR and Canon 600 IS with 1.4 and sometimes 1.4+2.0 extenders.

Nice work,

Robert

Thanks all!

I will try that Robert next time!