PDA

View Full Version : Fall color plus Praying Mantis

Dan Brown
10-26-2008, 11:51 PM
Another find while cleaning up the backyard. Captured with a handheld Nikon D200, Nikkor 105mm macro lens, f11, 1/1000th sec, manual exp mode, spot meter mode, exp comp +.33, ISO 400, handheld fill flash with Nikon SB800, -2.0 stops EV comp. PP'd in CS3. C & C welcome.

Joanna Trescott
10-27-2008, 09:51 AM
Really nice Dan. The colors are vivid and I like that the head is looking at the camera is clean against a nice BG. Really nice composition, too.

Julie Kenward
10-27-2008, 10:46 AM
Really nice praying mantis, Dan. I'm not totally in love with the BG but then I know how hard it is to get these guys where the BG is conducive to a good macro image.

Ed Vatza
10-27-2008, 05:28 PM
Love the detail on the Mantis. As far as the background is concerned, I do find the intermediate layer a bit distracting. The far background looks ok to me and the front "perch" area is busy but that's reality. It just that oof intermediate layer that is a little troubling. Overall, nicely done.

Stuart Frohm
10-31-2008, 09:39 AM
Superb! The leafy background helps set this photograph apart from other excellent photos of the species. The simpler background behind the insect's head, front legs and "neck" add impact. I don't expect any changes would cause me to like this photograph more. And I look forward to seeing more of your work, sir.