PDA

View Full Version : Sparrow ID please

Chris Hansen
10-26-2008, 01:57 AM
Was photographing Dark eyed Juncos and this sparrow was in the flock along with a Golden Crowned Sparrow.Located on the north Coast of California. Eighteen miles inland from the Pacific Ocean at an elevation of 2,500 feet. Mixed Coniferous Forest of Redwood and Douglas Fir along with some tan oak and Madrone. Any help would be appreciated.

God bless all,

chris

Chris Hansen
10-26-2008, 02:05 AM
Missing image attempt

Paul Lagasi
10-26-2008, 06:14 AM
Chris do you have any side views? My first guess would be a 1st winter White-Crowned Sparrow because of the yellow bill and unmarked greyish brown front...

John Chardine
10-26-2008, 10:25 AM
I agree with Paul. All the field marks seen in the image match Sibley quite nicely- head pattern, yellow bill, dark throat stripe, "dingy, brown-grey" breast.

Chris- it is important to provide date of photography so that age and plumage can be better diagnosed.

Chris Hansen
10-26-2008, 04:09 PM
A side view of the sparrow taken on 10/23/08

Chris Hansen
10-26-2008, 06:44 PM
OOPs! It appears that I that posted a picture of another sparrow as the bill is lacking any yellow. I guess i had a nimber of sparrows mixed in with that flock. At least more than i was aware of as they were coming and going out of the bushes to my feeder.
Sigh,

Chris

Christopher Hunter
10-28-2008, 01:49 PM
After looking at the various color morphs of the White Crowned sparrow in the Smithsonian field guide, I think both of these birds may be White Crowned sparrows, however the second picture is probably an immature bird. "Widely seen on migration and throughout the winter months in all populations, black-and white head stripes of adult are brown and gray in immature." Although they don't mention it, the bill of the immature bird in their images is also much more brown.