PDA

View Full Version : Wood Duck Extended

Phil Ertel
10-25-2008, 12:21 PM
This image was made on Friday October 24th on an over cast morning at 10:21AM.

This image was processed in ACR. I added canvas to the right, left, and top as I thought that out of the camera the bird was a bit tight in frame. Added a little contrast (curves) and toned the whites down a bit (linear burn).

Thanks for looking and of course any critiques.

Regards,

Phil

Camera: 40D
Lens: Canon EF500mm f/4 IS USM
Exposure: 1/125s at f/5.0
Exposure Compensation: 0
Exposure Program: Aperture priority
ISO: 400
Flash: Did not fire.
Tripod

Oscar Zangroniz
10-25-2008, 12:28 PM
One fine detailed image Phil. Excellent colors, very sharp, great background, and I think that by adding the canvas has made it stronger in composition.
Big Congrats

denise ippolito
10-25-2008, 12:37 PM
Hi Phil, Great shot I love the pose, Excellent!!! Just wondering was this wild or captive? If wild are they frequent visitors by your neck of the woods.

Phil Ertel
10-25-2008, 01:51 PM
Hi Denise, FIrst thanks for the kind comments. Second, I am sorry; I should have mentioned in my post that this is a captive duck. There are some wild Wood Ducks around but I didn't have the time or patience to go looking for them on Friday.

I haven’t had a lot of luck finding willing subjects to pose. Therefore, to make the best use of my time I went to the Sylvan Heights Waterfowl Park. It is a target rich environment (lots of chances to practice). I am trying to push my comfort zone by trying to create some blurs and zoom blurs. As to those results, lets just say I won’t be posting any of those anything soon. And thanks goodness for the delete button.

Thanks again for your comments (and of course thanks to Oscar's also)! Hopefully work will lighten up a bit and I will have the time to contribute more by providing feedback to you and other posters.

Regards,

Phil

Gail Spitler
10-25-2008, 05:21 PM
Phil
From my position this is one terrific image. Look at those feet! I don't think I ever notice Wood Duck feet before.
Really well done. Congrats
Gail

Glenn Romain
10-25-2008, 06:04 PM
Wow look at that webbed foot,you truly have a great capture Phil .Colors are great and you have very good sharpness and detail. Well done :)

Lance Peters
10-25-2008, 10:02 PM
Gorgeous colours - wonderfully sharp and a great pose. Love the painted fell to this.
no nits - well done. :)

Desmond Chan
10-25-2008, 10:09 PM
This is excellent ! Good colors, good sharpness, good exposure !!!

Alfred Forns
10-26-2008, 10:16 AM
Hi Phil This is a sensory overload type image !!! Totally love it !!!

Harold Davis
10-26-2008, 05:28 PM
one of the better wood duck images i have ever seen!! very artful!! big time congrats, phil!!! i will have to visit this place next time i'm home.

Gus Cobos
10-26-2008, 09:00 PM
Phil, congratulations...excellent composition, image and capture. The details and soft colors are superb...I like the wing stretch...very well done...proud of you...:cool:

Gus Hallgren
10-26-2008, 11:08 PM
Hi Phil:

Wonderful capture, lovely vibrant colors, only today I was talking with a friend that I would love to photograph a Wood Duck, not too much chance around here. In the meantime I will drool over your lovely one.

Thanks for sharing.

Uncle Gus

Jackie Schuknecht
10-27-2008, 04:45 PM
Beautiful Phil. Love the painterly feel and the colours of the BG. Very lovely quality to the light and good exposure!