PDA

View Full Version : Canyon Sunrise

Cindy Cone
10-24-2008, 07:08 PM
This was at Dead Horse Point State Park, near Moab, Utah, a few weeks ago. ( I'm finally out of remote campgrounds and have WiFi access again!) I tried this place a few different mornings before there was a sunrise with some interesting light. So did about 50 other photographers, apparently from various workshops/tour groups, and I had some trouble finding a place to plant my tripod.

Canon 40D, 17-40 mm at 21, 1/25, f/20. All comments appreciated.

Bruce Murden
10-24-2008, 07:27 PM
Lovely colors and texture in the formations! I'd like to see more contrast in the sky, to reduce the hazy look and add some interest to the sky, and intensify the light on the central formations within the oxbow, so they standout as the main subject.

Nice work here!

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
10-25-2008, 09:23 AM
The image is awesome, the bright spot on the right hand corner draws my eye to that. I agree with Bruce on the sky. and making a main subject. You're patience payed off.

Roman Kurywczak
10-25-2008, 11:03 AM
Hey Cindy,
Very nicely composed. I always wish for a sky like that when I am there.......no luck yet even after 14 tries. I would carefully burn in the area that Bruce and Dennis talk about. You may want to try a multiplied layer Iinstead of linear burn as described in the link) on the sky........adjusting the opacity till you like it.....and a detailed explanation can be found here; http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22649 scroll down to my response.
Way to get there early for the sweet light!

PS........after trying the multiplied layer........you may want to crop off the one darker cloud at the top edge of frame.

Robert Amoruso
10-27-2008, 12:34 PM
Cindy,

Awesome image and implementing the tweaks mentioned will enhance it.

Michael Pancier
10-27-2008, 01:31 PM
Wow. I need to get myself out there. great sky.

Cindy Cone
10-28-2008, 08:32 AM
Thanks so much for all of your comments and suggestions. Roman, thanks for the tutorial. Here's an attempt to implement the changes but I still want to try other versions. I left the dark cloud in the top rather than cropping because I thought it worked better with the shadowed cliffs below it.

P.S. Now that I've posted it, it doesn't look too much different from the original post, but my original TIFF does look quite different, so thanks for all of the help.

david cramer
10-28-2008, 09:57 AM
Beautiful image and great rework. The colors are superb. That dark cloud does distract from the formations, so I'd concur with removing it. You've got a real winner here.

Roman Kurywczak
10-28-2008, 10:43 AM
Hey Cindy,
Nice job on the re-work. Definitely improved the blues.

Cindy Cone
10-28-2008, 12:53 PM
Thanks, Roman.

Sabyasachi Patra
10-29-2008, 01:06 AM
I am late to the party.

The repost looks better. The clouds in the repost is darker as well. Your persistence has paid off. Nice work.