PDA

View Full Version : Frosty Autumn Morning

Beth Goffe
10-24-2008, 06:29 PM
Ok, Roman, I'm finally posting in the Landscape forum. I confess I was at this Audubon sanctuary in Dutchess County, NY to photograph birds but the sun had not yet risen enough over the marsh to make any bird images. Instead, I tried to capture some of the color which was really spectacular. I look forward to your critiques!

http://www.pbase.com/bgoffe/image/104983368/original.jpg

40D, 400 f5.6, 1/1640s, f/5.6, EC +1 (not sure why...), ISO 400

Roman Kurywczak
10-25-2008, 09:53 AM
Hey Beth,
Welcome (finally) to the forum!
OK....you had a very good idea.......and the light was looking very good, especially on the foliage....the idea of placing a FG element as a center of interest was also very good..........but at f5.6......you are starting to loose the DOF on it. Unlike bird or animal photography.....landscape shooters generally use the highest DOF...to make everything tack sharp, front to back.......not sure if you could......but moving forward to get the whole hay roll.......as an anchor point would have given you a stronger balance to the image compositionally. Looks like you had frost on the ground.......which also adds another nice texture element to the Image. The darker shadow??.. area on the bottom......has to go with a crop IMO...but this will further emphasize the clipped hay roll. Moving forward and standing in the shadow aarea........capturing the whole hay roll.....and more DOF would have helped the technical aspects........you saw something with a lot of potential so exploring it (the birds will wait!).....by looking at different angles would only help increase the chances of success.

Robert Amoruso
10-27-2008, 12:28 PM
Beth,

Roman expressed my feelings on this image quite well. If you have any chance to get out there again (colors gone by know I guess) please do and try his suggestions.

Beth Goffe
10-28-2008, 03:16 PM
Thanks, Roman and robert, for the critiques. I'm glad I posted here. It was a bit difficult framing the tree and the bale with the 400. I was so focused on the tree, I wasn't thinking about the bottom of the bale (I was on a downslope from it). The camera was set at f5.6 for the bird images due to low light and I didn't think to increase it for the trees. I was traveling lightly, only the one lens, but the light was so beautiful, I'm sorry I didn't have my shorter lens with me as I'm not sure when I'll be back in that location again. If I'm inspired by any more landscape images, I'll send them your way. :o