PDA

View Full Version : Backside of Coralbells

denise ippolito
10-24-2008, 02:27 PM
Canon5D
EF 100mm Macro
ISO 400
1/80sec. at f/8.0

I borrowed a lens from a friend - I wanted to take the back of a coralbells plant before they lost their nice color

Julie Kenward
10-24-2008, 03:46 PM
Denise, I like your eye on this. I think you got some really good detail on most of the leaf but it seems to get a bit blurry towards the upper right. I'd recrop taking a bit off of that area to leave more of the infocus sections. Also, next time, leave a bit more of the stem on the left (more on the ROT's) and I think you'd have an even stronger composition overall.

If you do decide to leave the comp as is, I'd clone out the two dark areas in each of the top two corners.

denise ippolito
10-24-2008, 05:10 PM
Julie, thanks for the tips- you don't think it needs that edge on top at all or should I cut the crop in the middle of the edge?

Julie Kenward
10-24-2008, 05:38 PM
Denise, I did a 7x5 crop, cutting off the top area. I also did a little dodging on the few dark spots that were left. While I was at it, I pulled down the high tones in curves and did a blur and liquify on the top left corner to soften the colors there. I think its a nice contrast to the ultra-sharp, spikey look in the rest of the image.

See what you think...

denise ippolito
10-24-2008, 05:43 PM
It looks great Julie, I like the liquid back also!

Ed Vatza
10-25-2008, 05:37 PM
Very interesting concept, Denise. The detail is very good. I must agree that I like Julie's crop better. It just sets up the composition better.

Joanna Trescott
10-27-2008, 09:59 AM
I, too, like the repost. It really keeps my eye in the shot. Nice soft colors and good detail.