PDA

View Full Version : Death Valley Storm

Chris Hansen
10-24-2008, 02:12 AM
A snow storm on the mountains on the north end of Death Valley. The light was constantly shifting due to clouds moving in and out bringing both rain and snowshowers.

Canon 10D
Canon 100-400 IS @ 190mm
ISO 100
1/500 Sec @ F8

All CC welcome.
God bless,

Chris

Michael Pancier
10-24-2008, 05:19 AM
where did you shoot from? Dante's View?

Kaushik Balakumar
10-24-2008, 12:32 PM
Nice image Chris. Was this image made around the same time as the one u posted previously...?
The snow-less dark peaks along with snow capped peaks form nice contrast. Liked those clouds.
Might crop a bit from the top though...

Roman Kurywczak
10-24-2008, 03:38 PM
Hey Chris,
I'm glad to see you are getting out when the light is great/dramatic and you have a very good eye for composition. As you mentioned in your previous post......the PP is lagging a bit behind and it is hurting this image. If you do the same corrections on your original tiff...........they may not work the same.......but keep in mind that it will get you closer.
I did a shadow/highlight adjustment is PS2 .......on the shadows........amount 28.....width 28.........radius 0. Highlights at A 56...W 57.......R 30........then I did a local contrast boost using unsharp mask with the amount at 21...radius at 31.......and threshold at 0. This brought back all your whites in the snow of the mountains.......and the contrast boost just popped the FG even more. Hope you like it and let me know if you need more info.
PS.........using the grad ND filter in my signature :D......would have yielded similar results!

Dave Mills
10-24-2008, 05:30 PM
Roman, you did it again. Nice job with the enhancements. Chris,also nice job capturing the image!

Cindy Cone
10-24-2008, 06:55 PM
Very dramatic composition, Chris. Roman, thanks for the lesson with the PS enhancements.

Chris Hansen
10-24-2008, 09:09 PM
Roman,
Thanks for the numerical step by step. I'm starting to get the idea now.

Thank you and God bless,

Chris

Robert Amoruso
10-27-2008, 12:24 PM
Chris,

Great composition and wonderfully dramatic light. The key to this image's appeal is the multiple layers of peaks and valleys leading from the FG to the BG.

Roman's tonal corrections take it to the next step.