PDA

View Full Version : Lark Sparrow

Mark Schmitt
10-23-2008, 10:40 PM
One of my favorite sparrows. They exhibit unique behavior around other feeding birds. Where as finches, house sparrows, juncos come to the feed on the ground, they seem to mix with other species. Lark sparrows, on the other hand, seem to stay in discinct groups amoung themselves and only on rare occasions seems to inter-mix with the other yard birds.
Would have liked a better perch; and perhaps a little more head turn towards camera.

Conditions: Summer; very hot

EXIF
Camera: Canon 30D
Lense: Canon EF 500 IS L @ f 4.0
Mode: Aperture priority
Exposure: 1/2000 @ f 8.0
Metering: Partial (evaluative)
Exp. comp.: -.33
Fill flash: Canon EX 580 gun; Better Beamer extender; -1.66 comp
Bogen monopod

Work flow: Adobe Lightroom 1.4; Adobe CS2 post process

Vincent Grafhorst
10-23-2008, 11:58 PM
Nice comp, BG and lovely light Mark. I don't agree that more head turn towards the camera would be better. With birds that always gives a 2-dimensional look. Slightly more head turn away from the camera would be better. It could use a bit more sharpening IMO.

Tony Whitehead
10-24-2008, 03:57 AM
Lovely colours and BG, Mark. I agree that the perch isn't the best and would be tempted to crop more to reduce it's size and remove the green area lower right. I agree with Vincent that less of a head turn would be better to my taste.

James Salywoda
10-24-2008, 02:21 PM
Nice pose excellent detail and pretty colors captured Mark... Well Done!

Ramon M. Casares
10-24-2008, 02:54 PM
Nice BG and colours, head turn feel like a little to much as eye contact is not the "ideal", it is good still, the perch I think is what doesn't work for me as it is to larg and rigid and it looks a bit soft. Still... congratulations!

Aidan Briggs
10-24-2008, 07:09 PM
Nice colors and BG. The head turn doesn't bother me much. The perch and the green area are distractions though. I would apply some more sharpening to the bird.

Dave Mills
10-25-2008, 12:18 AM
There are many good qualities to this image. I would crop a bit off the right. To my eye it makes the image stronger.