PDA

View Full Version : Mt Washington & Fall Colors From Parsonsfield Maine

Grady Weed
10-23-2008, 08:26 PM
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N, Shooting Date/Time: 10/24/2008 09:30:49, Shutter Speed 1/60Sec. Av(Aperture Value) F22, Evaluative metering, Exposure Compensation: 0, ISO 100, Lens: EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM, Focal Length: 300.0 mm. On my Gitzo Tripod with Wimberley 2 Head, cable release and double bubble level.

This is from Route 160 in Parsonsfield Maine, overlooking the Kezar Falls area, out of frame here, with Mt Washington in the background and the fall colors of the foothills to the White Mountains. The colors are just fading with some decent bright spots still to be seen. I used my Canon 5D and the 28-135 but did not like the results. Not enough mountains and too much up close valley. So I got out my Canon MK2N with the 300 2.8 and took a few closer frames. This is one of 3 at different exposures, straight up and -1/3 and +1/3.

I use PS 6.0. I opened my RAW file in Canon's latest Digital Pro software and made minor contrast, white balance changes, then converted it to a tiff file for PS. I made some levels, color balance, contrast at 70% opacity, cropped it for 9x12, signed it then posted it. What do you think of it?

I left the small shack in the middle to left side because it was there. I usually do not clone out anything. The other image made with the 5D and 28-135 had about 6 or so homes, some towers and other distractions. Another reason I chose to go this route instead. We are at 24 degress right now and a heavy frost warning is in effect. Snow up on the big top! Winter is here folks.

Kaushik Balakumar
10-24-2008, 12:36 PM
Interesting image Grady. Might work on increasing the contrast of the far off peaks a bit. Also feel that the sky is not offering much in this image & could be cropped of a little bit (as about an inch from top). Finally, perhaps sharpen it a bit more. Just my thoughts...

Roman Kurywczak
10-24-2008, 03:19 PM
Hey Grady,
I think you need to re-work this one.....did you do the corrections globally?? (the whole thing).....as the contrast adjustments made blew out the snow on the mountains.........I did a multiplied layer on the sky & mtns.......and it brought it back most of the way........but I feel I can tweak out more. If you are OK with it.....can you post an original.........without the contrast boost???........BTW......the rest looked right on as far as corrections were concerned......just the sky was out.

Grady Weed
10-24-2008, 08:06 PM
The sky Roman is as I saw it. The direction of the mountains always has a slight haze to it. Int he 20 years we have lived up here, this is all you get in that direction. The sky looks the same in the RAW file as it does here. Yes the contrast boost was a global one. I had no blinkies by the way on the RAW file either.

Here is an uncropped or re-touched file to work with.

Roman Kurywczak
10-24-2008, 08:55 PM
Hey Grady,
If you look at your re-post and the original post........you lost the detail in the snow from my guess........the contrast boost. I am not thrilled with my re-post...except what it did to the mountains and snow..............but will tell you what I did.........so you can play around with it.
I did a multiplied layer........directions here; http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22649
only difference..................I used an opacity of 70%........and I had to blur it about 21. I did a levels adjustment........holding doen the alt key as I moved each slider.............black went to 27........white.......213......release for midtone...............110. I then did the local contrast adjustment using USM at 25/48/0.

PS........Did I mention the crop???

Robert Amoruso
10-27-2008, 12:22 PM
I think the previous posters have captured my thoughts on this one.