PDA

View Full Version : Struttin' His Stuff

Chris Hansen
10-23-2008, 06:08 PM
Went out a couple of days ago and the wild turkeys were doing there thing. Always fun to watch. They think they are so tough all puffed up and pushing each other around.

Canon 10D
Canon 100-400 IS @ 260
ISO 400
1/350 sec @ F 6.7
Late morning light
Manfrotto 055XPROB
Bogen 3055 Ballhead
I was missing my shutter release so the head is not very sharp.

All CC welcome and God bless,
Chris

Neil Losin
10-23-2008, 07:24 PM
The dappled light works well here, Chris. I think this could stand a little more USM for the web.

Daniel Cadieux
10-23-2008, 07:55 PM
Cool lighting...I only wish the light on top of the head would come down lower to include the face area too. I agree it could stand another round of USM. Is it me, or does this image have the look of a slide? I kinda like that old-school look :-)

Judy Lynn Malloch
10-23-2008, 09:08 PM
The first thing I noticed in this image is the wonderful mood and the incredible eye contact. I really like this very much and find it quite stunning. Congratulations Chris !!!!

James Salywoda
10-23-2008, 09:36 PM
Fantastic shot! I love your composition and the mood captured. Well Done!

Mark Schmitt
10-23-2008, 10:44 PM
Considering the light conditions, this would be a challence to meter. What did you use. The lighting, as has been stated, is very dramtic while being artistic. Creates great atmospher and mood. The focus does look a little soft, though. All and all it is a great shot. Like it.

Chris Hansen
10-24-2008, 01:18 AM
Mark.
I hope this explanation helps. For black critters I under expose to retain the details and dark colors. In a normally lit scene I usually under expose 2 stops (-2). But since the overall scene is basically dark already I used evaluative metering with an exposure compensation of -1. Which is saying I underexposed the scene by one stop.

God's good light your way,

Chris

Tony Whitehead
10-24-2008, 02:50 AM
I really like this, Chris. Very challenging metering as even though he is a "dark critter" there is a lot light coming back from that bright iridescence. Your histogram is probably your best guide as you don't want to underexpose the dark tones or you will lose all the details. My only suggestion would be to burn in that broken branch that is standing up behind his tail a little. Agree a little more sharpening may help but not quite sure where the plane of focus is- the tree bark behind him looks pretty sharp suggesting it may have locked there

John Chardine
10-24-2008, 08:24 AM
Nice, "moody", filtered light. There are very strange offsets and cloning duplication in both legs.

Chris Hansen
10-25-2008, 01:18 AM
John,
Good call. That was the area I had the most difficulty with as there were a pair of bright branches i needed to clone out. I obviously needed to put a little more into it!.

God bless,

Chris