PDA

View Full Version : Activity In Florida

Filemon Lopez
10-23-2008, 06:32 AM
Can anyone provide me with an update on bird activity in Florida? Have been waiting too long since last season and can't wait for the upcoming season. Thanks

Maxis Gamez
10-23-2008, 04:12 PM
Filemon,

I have been shooting NON stop since "last" season. There is a lot of activity out there right now!

Filemon Lopez
10-23-2008, 07:46 PM
That's great but if would be helpful if you'd share what and where. Thanks

Maxis Gamez
10-23-2008, 07:51 PM
That's great but if would be helpful if you'd share what and where. Thanks

Filemon,

Here are some hot spots right now.

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22551

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22130

Green Cay is another good location.

Good luck!

Judd Patterson
10-23-2008, 09:01 PM
I think that at the moment the west coast of the state seems to be much more active than the east. Green Cay (Wakodahatchee is closed until Oct 31) here in the east has some (but not a lot) of activity. It's a bit early for Anhinga Trail too...not many birds with the very high water levels. At the moment I am focusing much more on landscapes here in the east...lots of nice fall flowers and grasses!

Filemon Lopez
10-24-2008, 06:56 AM
Thanks to both of you. I had planned on going to Wako this weekend. Glad to know about it being closed.

Nancy A Elwood
10-24-2008, 08:24 PM
Viera Wetlands is very slow compared to last year. Looks like the water levels since the storms have effected the birding.

Maurice Allen
10-28-2008, 03:12 PM
Merritt Island NWR is a little slow also, maybe this cold weather will pick things up.

Declan Troy
10-29-2008, 11:58 AM
You FL folk are full of useful information. I'm finding myself making an impromptu visit down there starting in a couple of days. I've gleaned many ideas from the postings to this forum. Looks like the course of action will be to start at Tampa and poke my way south along the west coast after fighting my way through all the baseball fans. I had been toying with making a loop (cutting over the the east coast), in part to visit Merritt on the way back to Tampa but in light of the slow comment my time (week) would be best used exploring the west.

Is Fort DeSoto too hectic on weekends this time of year? I arrive late Friday and was thinking of heading there Sat morning. Do weekends make much of a difference in terms of crowds and disturbance to birds?

Thanks

Judd Patterson
10-29-2008, 06:53 PM
Weekends are busier at Ft. DeSoto, but as long as you arrive at (or before) dawn you'll get a couple of good hours in before you deal with any significant number of beach visitors. In the evenings it can be more difficult to find an area to work, but you might check out the big tidal marsh/lagoon behind the main beach (North beach). I'd also just recommend that you stop in at any state park you find yourself near...lots to see and photograph...Myakka River, etc. Wading around in Big Cypress and Everglades are also really nice right now if you want to try landscape photographs. Good luck!

Declan Troy
10-30-2008, 11:57 AM
Judd, thanks for the suggestions. Seems to be no shortage of interesting spots to check out. Your earlier post about Kissimmee State Park got it on my list of potential places to visit.