PDA

View Full Version : Fall Color II, Conway, NH

Arthur Morris
10-23-2008, 05:23 AM
Another from the White Mountains: October 13, just before 10am. Canon 100-400 at 190mm on Mongoose M3.5 atop the Gitzo 3530 LS tripod. Evaluative metering +2/3 stop: 1/160 sec. at f/9.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

Robert Amoruso
10-23-2008, 06:54 AM
Your making me jealous as that is my neck of the woods and I would have liked to be there. Already thinking about it for next year.

At first I thought I did not like the BG peak just cresting the FG slope on the right but think that it balances well with the rock face in the upper right. Diagonal slope is stronger compositional element and the colors are nicely dispersed. Plus you didn't something that all to many times happens, oversaturate the colors.

That green tree in the lower right might have been interesting placed into the scene as a lone green tree in a sea of color assuming of course that was the case.

Arthur Morris
10-23-2008, 07:55 AM
Your making me jealous as that is my neck of the woods and I would have liked to be there. Already thinking about it for next year. At first I thought I did not like the BG peak just cresting the FG slope on the right but think that it balances well with the rock face in the upper right. Diagonal slope is stronger compositional element and the colors are nicely dispersed. Plus you didn't something that all to many times happens, oversaturate the colors. That green tree in the lower right might have been interesting placed into the scene as a lone green tree in a sea of color assuming of course that was the case.

NH was great. I hope to get back next year plus Vermont, which would be my 50ieth and last state. Maybe even do an IPT up there. I loved it. Below is another version--a bit tighter without either the peak or the green tree. In each I tried to maximimze the fall color while keeping the corners clean. Below and to the right of the green tree was el garbageo. IAC, folks can let me know which of the two that they prefer.

Sabyasachi Patra
10-23-2008, 09:01 AM
I vote for the first one. Before I even read your post, I took a long look at the image and the blue mountain peak and tried imagining without it (didn't knew you had posted a version without it). I thought about the dark green tree at the bottom right hand corner and tried to imagine how it would look at the RoT point. However, I felt the present version is better. I feel this balances better.

I also like the sky better in the first image than the second one. I would love some more colour and contrast in the second picture. Also, cropping from the bottom doesn't help as I like the bottom triangle. I like the first one.

Johannes Glännman
10-23-2008, 11:20 AM
I vote for the first one as well. Look at all the colors, it is fantastic. I do think the second picture is a bit flat. It has no dept to talk about. The first one has a bit more dept then the second because of the mountain in the BG. I also like the sky more in the first one.

Cheers // johannes

Ramon M. Casares
10-23-2008, 11:29 AM
The first one gets my vote too, the contrast is better with hte greens and overall I like it best! I is indeed an amazing shot! Congratultions Arthur!

Roman Kurywczak
10-23-2008, 03:12 PM
Hey Artie,
I didn't the same correction on the sky.........using a multiplied layer instead of a linear burn........as I did in your pano post; http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?p=158771#post158771
I also did a LCE using USM at 20/40/0........because the jpeg lost a lot of it's pop on the re-post when I first re did it. I cropped it to more of a pano.........because like the others..........I was not fond of the tree in the LR.........but I did like the hint of the mountain range. This now becomes a very strong diagonal comp IMO.........so let me know your thoughts.

denise ippolito
10-23-2008, 05:07 PM
Wow Roman you really made that sky pop. Thanks for your informative post on sky corrections.

Arthur Morris
10-25-2008, 10:23 AM
Looks great but for the lost detail in the dark trees UL. Those tree branches lower right did bug mme. Thank you sir.