PDA

View Full Version : Fort Island Trail

John Tillard
10-22-2008, 06:52 PM
I am a glutten for punishment so here we go again. In this shot I lowered the ISO to 200 and tried to get on more of an eye level with the subject but this was difficult as I was on an elevated platform and the wind was such that if I wanted the front I had to take the shot from this location. Here is a complete reading of my settings. All C&C's are appreciated.

John

D30, manual ISO 200 f2.8 1/400 evaluative EF70-300mm f2.8 L1 200mm RAW flash off white balance-Auto
AF Mode A1 Servo AF Picture Style Standard Sharpness 3 Contrast -2 Saturation 0 Color Tone 0 Color Space sRGB noise reduction off, CFN 01-0, CFN 02-2, all rest 1 drive mode High Speed Continous

Lance Peters
10-22-2008, 07:53 PM
Hi John - The head angle and eye contact are good.

Looks like the shot was taken in harsh light - soft light is the KEY.
Always try to line your shot up so that your shadow is pointed at the bird and try to avoid shooting when the light is harsh.

On my screen it looks a little soft and lacking in contrast. Bird should be black I am guessing - looks grey on my screen - which would mean it is over exposed. The hardest part about your journey is learning when NOT to push the shutter button.

I still struggle with that one myself.

Looking forward to seeing more - keep at it.

Desmond Chan
10-22-2008, 10:05 PM
As for the composition, I think you don't need that vegetation in the foreground, especially it's too bright, brighter than the bird that it could draw the attention of the viewers from the bird, which I assume is the center of interest of the photo. Also, that shadow on the left near the bottom is also not helping, IMO.

John Tillard
10-23-2008, 09:00 AM
Lance, Desmond

Great advice and I have made note of them. I appreciate your time and comments thanks.

John

Alfred Forns
10-24-2008, 09:59 AM
Hi John

Harsh light aside you should line up with the sun to your back. As presented the right side of the bird is dark. Would try focusing on the bird's eye the recomposing, seems the grass up front is sharper. Crop wise you wan to move the bird more to the right side of the frame, avoid center.

All the listed setting will not affect your raw image, they only apply for the jepg. Keep snapping and looking forward to many more !!!