PDA

View Full Version : Wisk Broom?

Michael Lloyd
10-22-2008, 07:23 AM
I'm not sure what this plant is. The orientation is the way that I found it (Aransas NWR). It's tempting to rotate it 90°

EOS1DsMKII
180mm Macro lens with Canon Ring Flash; ETTL; -2/3 EC

Exposure 1/250
f10
ISO 400

Ed Vatza
10-22-2008, 06:28 PM
Hi Michael,

I have to say that I am having a hard time getting my head around this image. It is an interesting flower/plant but the image does not have a strong focal point. So I find my eye just drifting around the image looking for some place to stop and focus.

Mike Moats
10-24-2008, 11:29 AM
Hey Michael, I agree with Ed, that its and interesting subject, but with so much detials and confusion in the plant, its hard to have a main focal point.

Michael Lloyd
10-25-2008, 01:21 PM
Anyone have a suggestion for a way to improve it (In case I get the opportunity to reshoot it.)?

Chris Starbuck
10-25-2008, 02:02 PM
Michael,
The patterns and textures in this plant are very interesting, and the OOF section of the plant in the background that echos the shape of the part in the middle of the frame is an excellent compositional element. I think two things would substantially improve this: frame much more tightly, and (as far as possible) eliminate OOF FG elements, especially bright ones, which are prone to distract. And as usual, tone down any bright spots in the BG. Here's a crop of your original to illustrate. I hope you get a chance to reshoot, and that you'll post it here.

Michael Lloyd
10-25-2008, 02:12 PM
Ahh... I see. That makes a lot of sense now that I can see it. I like the crop a lot better. Thanks for posting that!