PDA

View Full Version : African Snipe

Tony Whitehead
10-22-2008, 02:50 AM
Another shot from my recent South Africa trip. Taken at a large wetland sanctuary near Johannesburg. These little fellows explode out of the undergrowth and depart at speed so it was nice to get one sharp with reasonable light and BG. Could have afforded to drop the ISO and still kept a decent shutter speed
Nikon D300 - Nikon 200-400
ISO 800 1/4000 f5.6

Alfred Forns
10-22-2008, 10:26 AM
Excellent capture Tony Not an easy bird to track keep in focus Not sure if you could crop more as presented but would like seen the bird larger in frame. Do like the bird position with current crop !!

Doug Brown
10-22-2008, 11:21 AM
The little birds like these really are tough to track. I agree with Al about wanting to see the bird occupy more of the frame, but I don't think this image is sharp enough to do well with a tighter crop. Do like the topside wing detail.

Arthur Morris
10-23-2008, 05:31 AM
Quite an amazing capture but imate quality is already suspect and the back of the bird looks sharper (and a bit better lit???) than the front of the bird.

Tony Whitehead
10-23-2008, 01:29 PM
Hi Artie, the image quality relates to the crop. The lighting was quite high sun on the right so the underside of the head and neck is in shadow as it banked.