PDA

View Full Version : Your ID advise please!

Juan Carlos Vindas
10-21-2008, 10:37 PM
Hi to all!
This is the first time I post an image here and may be this sound silly but I more or less know what is this bird.
Any ways, the thing here is that this is a North American bird that migrates to Costa Rica. I just want to be sure which one this is, thank you for your help.:D

John Chardine
10-22-2008, 05:44 AM
Hi Juan- I've never seen one here in the east but it immediately looked like a Townsend's Solitaire to me. I could be completely off-base though. Others?

Paul Lagasi
10-22-2008, 05:08 PM
Without knowing the size its tough... not a Townsend's. Juvenile female bird possible, probable Flycatcher? , but an overall tan bird, light tan colored tail, with double wing bars is unknown to me in any of my North American bird books.
May be a Mexican bird?
The hook at the end of the bill, and weak eye-ring, is what leads me to Flycatcher. Like above I also could be way off .... others??

Juan Carlos Vindas
10-22-2008, 05:29 PM
Ok, here I go!
this is a flycatcher, actually is an Alder or Willow Flycatcher, they are almost the same bird and there is no easy way to identify them since even their sings are more or less the same.
Size of the bird ''6 (15cm)
Thank you for your help.

Paul Lagasi
10-22-2008, 06:21 PM
Juan,
Willow and Alder Flycatchers have darker wings....although Willow flycatchers are brownish overall..unless the sun was playing tricks....I have never seen a Willow or Alder with this color coverts and primaries..unless its a leucistic bird.

Dan Brown
10-22-2008, 06:24 PM
Hi Juan. I agree that this could be an empidonax flycatcher but am not brave enough to call this bird either Alder or Willow;). But, If you are correct that this is Alder or Willow, then, judging by the primary tip projection (according to John Dunn at a recent seminar) that your photo is showing, I vote for Alder, which is supposed to have longer PTP than Willow.:D How about an Elaenia?I

John Chardine
10-22-2008, 06:26 PM
OK, I said I might be off-base! The bird just did not "say" flycatcher" to me although I see Paul's point about the bill. I'm struck by the long tail and overall jizz. Interested to see what the conclusion is. Certainly looks nothing like any Empidonax flycatcher I've seen up here.

Juan Carlos Vindas
10-22-2008, 09:15 PM
OK, I said I might be off-base! The bird just did not "say" flycatcher" to me although I see Paul's point about the bill. I'm struck by the long tail and overall jizz. Interested to see what the conclusion is. Certainly looks nothing like any Empidonax flycatcher I've seen up here.
Ok guys, probably this bird does not look like an Empidonax, but that is what it is, and I also accept that the sun was not helping much in here but is not an Elania neither. Soon I will have info. on what Empidonax is for sure. :)