PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow Valley

John Cooper
01-15-2008, 09:17 PM
Rainbow Valley in the red center of Australia is well known for its very warm colours at sunset.
Canon EOS 3, Canon 17-40 F4L at 24mm, Velvia 50, 1 sec at F22.

Andrew George
01-16-2008, 12:50 PM
Great use of light and composition! I really love those golden mountains.

Robert Amoruso
01-16-2008, 04:27 PM
John,

I love the light and long shadows. You did a good job placing the FG elements (bushes) and green tree along right edge such that they did not intersect with the frame edge. I see this is a film scan of a Velvia slide. You could try a reverse s-curve using a curves adjustment in PS to tone down contrast. Also some saturation reduction using a H/S adjustment layer might make for a more pleasing effect.

The shadows, though strong diagonal elements, lead the viewers eye away from mountain which is the subject of the image. Leading lines should be used to draw the viewer's attention to the subject of the image or to lead them around the image. In this case, the shadows have to opposite effect IMO. If the shadows where directly towards a different mountain, it could have been explored in addition to this composition.

Looking forward to your next post. Thanks.

John Cooper
01-17-2008, 12:23 AM
John,

I love the light and long shadows. You did a good job placing the FG elements (bushes) and green tree along right edge such that they did not intersect with the frame edge. I see this is a film scan of a Velvia slide. You could try a reverse s-curve using a curves adjustment in PS to tone down contrast. Also some saturation reduction using a H/S adjustment layer might make for a more pleasing effect.

The shadows, though strong diagonal elements, lead the viewers eye away from mountain which is the subject of the image. Leading lines should be used to draw the viewer's attention to the subject of the image or to lead them around the image. In this case, the shadows have to opposite effect IMO. If the shadows where directly towards a different mountain, it could have been explored in addition to this composition.

Looking forward to your next post. Thanks.

Many thanks for your helpful critque Robert.

David Steele
01-29-2008, 12:51 PM
A lovely shot John. I think this would also make a good panoramic.