PDA

View Full Version : Pine Warbler

bill kominsky
10-21-2008, 07:12 PM
Hi contrast image of this Pine Warbler take at Green Cay Wetlands with my Canon MK-3

ISO=160 at f/7.1 and 1/640th of a sec. w/+0.7 exp. bias and 500MM w/ 1.4 tele.conv.=700

All C/C welcome and appreciated.

Bill

Alfred Forns
10-21-2008, 08:22 PM
Glad you got one of these fine little guys Bill !!! Simple and elegant Would back down the USM a bit btw with the good ISO performance would not be photographing at 160!!!

Daniel Cadieux
10-21-2008, 08:53 PM
Hi Bill, I got to be honest here and say the colour noise on the subject is quite apparant and very excessive. Looks like the image might have been rather underexposed and that you tried to salvage it? In a situation like this with a very bright BG don't be afraid to raise your EC significantly...sometimes even +2 EC can be needed!Nice subject and clean, simple (and effective) composition.

Dave Brown
10-21-2008, 09:23 PM
Hi,

It looks as though you were photographing in difficult conditions here. I would have to say that this isn't a Pine Warbler. There is quite a lot of noise in the bird but this to me is very much a juv Yellow-rumped Warbler. If you would like to post the image in the behaviour and identification forum I will expand in the identification.

Dave Brown

Tony Whitehead
10-22-2008, 02:07 AM
I really like this idea - the thumbnail definitely caught my eye. Agree with Daniel's comments. In camera exposure comp +1.7 - 2 stops would have given a cleaner image with clean detail in dark areas. Cloning/patching has left some haze at the tip of teh branch

bill kominsky
10-22-2008, 06:07 AM
Hi Dave we have an expert here in the wetlands and she is the naturalist at Green Cay and an epert on warblers, and when I cannot identify the bird I send it to her, and she said Pine but could be wrong with all the species out there, but will try sending to her again.

Bill

Arthur Morris
10-22-2008, 12:36 PM
Hey Bill, This is much better than the last warbler because of the head angle. I was having trouble with this being a Pine too. YR sounds correct. As for EXP, the MIII needs more + compensation by far than any camera I have ever used. In similar situations even +3 stops has not burned the sky.

bill kominsky
10-22-2008, 12:58 PM
Thank you so much Artie for taking the time to comment it is so greatly appreciated. From the time I got the MK-3 I noticed that even in normal shooting situations it had to always be on the + side, but am using the 50-D now more and it seems to be o.k. Yhank you again so much/

Bill