PDA

View Full Version : waterfowl

Jared Lloyd
10-21-2008, 04:57 PM
So I am now living in an area that is world reknowned for its waterfowl. The name of the county - Currituck - is Algonquian for "land of many geese." The hunt clubs that surround the Currituck Sound of northeastern NC have hosted the likes of JFK, president Johnson, Eisinhour, and Jack Dempsey the boxer - just to name a few.

Naturally, I plan on trying to dive into this realm of photography headfirst. The ducks have begun to come to the area by the thousands already. Pea Island NWR is full of ducks at the moment. However, the areas that are accesible to people are typically no where near the birds. There is a refuge photo blind, however I have found it absolutly worthless as it is so grown up in front of it and birds rarely come withing 50 yards of it.

Not to be deterred, I began researching the area and have found a number of excelent sites on game lands that can be accessed via a warm sturdy pair of waders. A recent scouting trip to one of the areas gave me the oppurtunity to talk with one of the guys in charge of managing the waterfowl impoundments there. The entire area is open and I am free to wade in before light to set up a blind or what not if I choose.

Only thing is, Ive never worked out of a portable blind before and so I am left only to my imagination as to what kind would come in handy.

When working in this sort of condition, that is in 2-3 feet of frigid water, should I opt for creating my own type of blind or would a chair blind be suitable? Other than the fact that birds land into the wind, is there certain factors that play into where waterfowl choose to hangout and therefore should dictate my choice of blind placement?

Any pointers, websites, or recomended books/resources to check out on photographing waterfowl would be terribly helpful.

Jared
www.JaredLloydphoto.com (http://www.JaredLloydphoto.com)

Chris Hansen
10-26-2008, 10:34 AM
Jared, I do a lot of waterfowl photgraphy. Since the water is cold I would suggest buying one of the small pontoon boats used for flyfishing and just add a small very light weight blind over the top of it.. You can buy them from Cabelas or Bass Pro. Make sure to buy one that you could add a small electric trolling motor to. These pontoon boats have the advantage of being able to pick your feet up out of the water and rest them on a rail to keep dry. they are very light and quite maneuverable.You could just paddle out and find a spot and set up and wait or you could stalk slowly using the trolling motor. The other option is to get upwind of them and let the breeze slowly blow you down into them. Take a look t my site and you can get some ideas.

http://diyphotocheapodepot.blogspot.com/2008/06/diy-floating-blinds.html

Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Good luck and God bless,

Chris

Chris Hansen
10-26-2008, 10:55 AM
Jared, I missed answering part of your question with regards to where waterfowl hangout. A lot depends upon species. Pintails and geese tend to like big open water. Whereas mallards and most puddle ducks like thicker heavier marsh. If you have access to a pick up truck(or other tall vehicle) and a spotting scope I would suggest prescouting the area with a refuge map to look for waterfowl resting spots that you could access. Just drive along find a safe spot where you can pull over climb up into the pickup be stand up and glass the area. When you find good spots mark them on your map. I would also make use of your prior contacts and ask them where the waterfowl rest during the day and where they tend to fly out to go feed at night.

Above all have fun,

Chris