PDA

View Full Version : Albino Redtail Hawk

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
10-21-2008, 02:22 PM
This bird has been around for three years as it shows up in October and stays till April. Whitie is very shy and his limit when you stop to get photos is about 250 yards. Also it is a private property.

I have not tried baiting him in with a mouse yet to get a better shot as I thought he would calm down. I have him pattern to which perches he likes but no cigar yet. I have lots of far shots of him but no keepers yet.

MKIII-400mm/5.6-1.4 teleconverter-blubb bag-iso400-f/8.0-(-1/3)

Opps the file was to big so it did not upload

Aidan Briggs
10-21-2008, 05:55 PM
Nice find. I've heard of albino red tails, but I have never seen one. The focus seems a bit soft and the whites are hot. Also the BG seems oversaturated and looks as though it has some jpeg artifacts. Was this a large crop?

Alfred Forns
10-21-2008, 08:28 PM
Fully agree with Andy !! Do like the bird placement in frame ... first one for me !!!

William Malacarne
10-21-2008, 08:52 PM
Just for information purposes this is probably a Leucistic Red-tailed Hawk. I say this because of the dark colored eyes. An Albino would have red colored eyes. Here is a quick description of Lesucistic at wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leucistic

Bill

Arthur Morris
10-22-2008, 02:44 PM
Cool bird but as noted above by all the image has many serious problems. I am betting that the eye highlight was added. Correct?

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
10-22-2008, 04:33 PM
I just wanted to share my challenge as this bird is one smart hombre. The image is a huge crop then blown back up with genuine fractals from a very small photo. I shot this still moving and the bird was about 250 yards away and flushed as so as the jeep came to a sto It is a bad photo with bad catch light and serious problems but I will keep working till I get a keeper.

I will try a different method this year and have a friend that bought a house where he hangs out so I can set up a hide.

Thanks everybody for looking and Art thanks for your store as it really has some neat stuff.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
10-22-2008, 04:39 PM
Here is another photo and I do not think it is Lesucistic as it has no marking only white. It's eyes are jet black