PDA

View Full Version : Puffball

John Cooper
01-15-2008, 08:47 PM
Quite a few attampts to get this image without the hand-of-man , or rather the finger of man:)

Two flashes at rear and one fill flash next to lens.
Canon EOS 5, Canon 100mm lens, Velvia 50, 1/200 sec at F16. Tripod.

Mike Moats
01-15-2008, 09:04 PM
Hey John, this is way cool and very creative. Great job on the lighting. Very well done.

Jim Caldwell
01-15-2008, 09:10 PM
Fantastic image - how about more details on producing such an interesting photograph?

Kaushik Balakumar
01-15-2008, 09:21 PM
Wow, amazing capture.
Like Jim mentioned, could you share with us some more details on how u went about it...

rgds,
Kaushik

John Cooper
01-15-2008, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the comments. Of course the puffball needs to be encouraged to perform! Normally it would be dew or raindrops falling on the tissue thin wall, other triggers would be falling twigs or animal brushing up against it - some even make a meal out of them.
I triggered the action with my finger - took about 20 shots - 19 of them had my finger protruding in the frame!!! I concluded that the sac must've had a very good supply of spores.

Jim Caldwell
01-15-2008, 10:04 PM
You must have amazing reflexes! Did you use any kind of backdrop behind the puffball?

Nicole Brooker
01-15-2008, 10:19 PM
Wow this is really cool and I also like the lighting. The green on the bottom really gives it that extra punch too. Great capture.

Josh Gahagan
01-16-2008, 06:29 AM
This is great, excellent job capturing the cloud.

Kaushik Balakumar
01-16-2008, 06:32 AM
Thanks for the comments. Of course the puffball needs to be encouraged to perform! Normally it would be dew or raindrops falling on the tissue thin wall, other triggers would be falling twigs or animal brushing up against it - some even make a meal out of them.
I triggered the action with my finger - took about 20 shots - 19 of them had my finger protruding in the frame!!! I concluded that the sac must've had a very good supply of spores.

I'd seen such phenomenon in David Attenborough's BBC documentary - the 'Private Life of Plants' . And now I am seeing an image.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
Kaushik

Matthew Pugh
01-16-2008, 03:07 PM
Hi
A nicely executed and enjoyable image
Another easier way of starting this action - use an old fashioned remote release.
All the best
Matthew

Stephen Stephen
01-23-2008, 08:18 PM
John I really like this image. As you've said "less is more". There is just enough spore here to tell you waht's happening without overpowering the whole frame.