PDA

View Full Version : Red Crossbill?

Terry Olmsted
10-20-2008, 12:25 PM
I posted this image in Avian - Wild and Free and called it a crossbill - but doubt by others (who are no doubt more quallified to know) has been expressed. I initially thought it was a house finch, but the bill is definitely crossed, although not as much as other crossbills I have seen - I wish I had a closer view or different view, but don't. I would appreciate ID opinions.

dhfreriks
10-20-2008, 04:44 PM
Hi Terry,
My vote would be with a House Finch also. The bill definately doesn't have the size, curvature or overlapping "crossing" that a crossbill would have. Either of the crossbills would also be showing more extensive red than this bird has. (adult males) The other two possible options for your area would be either a Cassin's Finch or Purple Finch. I would rule out a Purple Finch because of the lack of enough overall red color extending to the back of the head and the along the flanks, and a Purple Finch would also not have the streaking along the flanks and belly that this bird has. A Cassin's Finch normally would have more of a crown to the head, bill would be straighter.... not as rounded, and would not show as much streaking on the flanks and belly as this bird has. As far as the bill looking crossed.... I'm thinking that you just get a bit of that impression by the angle/shading on the bill in this photo?

Nice Photo

Dave Freriks
www.pbase.com/dhfreriks (http://www.pbase.com/dhfreriks)

Terry Olmsted
10-20-2008, 06:12 PM
Thanks, Dave. I appreciate your opinion. I have to agree, Other crossbills that I have photographed (that happened to be females) had much curvature and overlap. I am fairly certain, based on other views (unforunately I deleted them because they were not sharp) of this bird that there was some crossing, but not much. I also agree, it is most likely a house finch and not a purple finch.

Axel Hildebrandt
10-20-2008, 06:17 PM
Looks like a finch to me, too.

Terry Olmsted
10-20-2008, 07:18 PM
Thanks, Axel - based on recent avian poles, 98% vote for the finch :)

Judd Patterson
10-20-2008, 07:53 PM
One feature that is useful for me in this image are the streaks that start where the red fades near the legs. The male House Finch has these strong streaks, while they are very faint on the Purple and Cassin's Finch. As far as the bill, this image doesn't appear to show crossing. Crossing in the crossbills is when the upper and lower mandibles twist in the opposite direction and not necessarily that one is longer than the other. When you see a crossbill you'll know it...they are a bizarre and fascinating bird!! Glad you posted this image as it made me review my winter finches...just probably won't get a chance to practice down here in South Florida this year. :)

Terry Olmsted
10-21-2008, 11:03 AM
Thanks very much for the info, Judd. I looked at my crossbill shots from last year - you certainly are right they a bit bizarre - especially the colors of the female. I am convinced now, that this is a house finch.

Julie Kenward
10-31-2008, 04:49 PM
I'd have to agree with you, Terry. Although it's more intensely colored than the ones at my feeders it certainly does look like one.

Roy Priest
12-30-2008, 02:32 AM
I think it's a purple finch. If the colour of red has been pumped up it may be a house finch but imho it's too red to be a house finch.