PDA

View Full Version : Western gulls, OR coast

Dan Elster
01-15-2008, 08:10 PM
Western gulls @ sunset, Oregon coast

I was already somewhat pleased with just the three birds, so the forth one coming in for a landing was icing on the cake. In either direction, there were more gulls but their silohouttes were merging together. I'm curious what anyone has to say about this one....I do a lot of outdoor art festivals and this one has been a complete bust.

Canon 10D, 1-400mm IS @ 300 1/4000 @ f11, full frame.

Ivan Rothman
01-15-2008, 08:17 PM
It's a beautiful image with great positioning of the birds. My only objection is the brightness to the left which I find distracting. I would suggest cropping the picture just behind the last bird on the left.

John Cooper
01-15-2008, 08:26 PM
Can't remember seeing a much better bird silhouette than this Dan - the interesting rock shape, the colourful sky and 'strategically placed' gulls brings it all together. Wish it was mine!!! Just nit-picking now but my eye does get attracted to that bright area of sky, botom left.

Alfred Forns
01-15-2008, 09:38 PM
Hi Dan No idea why is not popular I like it a lot Do think it would be stronger with a crop from the left Big Congrats !!!

Fabs Forns
01-15-2008, 09:46 PM
Hi Dan,

Agree on the previous comments. I tried a crop, getting some off the left, adding canvas at right and bottom, adapting the mountain silhouette to the new crop.

Best to do this in-camera, and if it OK with your ethics, try it. Hope you like it :)

Milo Burcham
01-15-2008, 10:21 PM
I can't see any difference in your crop, Fabs, perhaps you posted the wrong image. I think this looks beautiful, esp the bird in flight. The main thing that would have improved this in my mind is if they were looking towards the light source rather than away from it.

Fabs Forns
01-15-2008, 10:24 PM
I can't see any difference in your crop, Fabs, perhaps you posted the wrong image. I think this looks beautiful, esp the bird in flight. The main thing that would have improved this in my mind is if they were looking towards the light source rather than away from it.

Thanks, Milo, fixed it. A senior moment :)

LCuchara
01-16-2008, 01:05 AM
Dan, I love silhouettes but this one is especially wonderful. I agree about the left being a little bright but I love the three plus one in flight. You have a great leading line too!

Del Cockroft
01-16-2008, 06:18 AM
The only nit is the distracting glow middle left of the image, but I tnink Fabs has improved that a lot. A lovely silhouette all the same.