PDA

View Full Version : Words

Gus Hallgren
10-20-2008, 09:00 AM
Hi Lance and Friends:

Was cruising the web this morning and found some excellent photographs by a fellow under the name of digishooter http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=36635&cat=500

I was impressed by his photos, however, I was pleasantly surprised by the captions for some of them, Here are a couple of examples.

"Green Towhee

Evening is approaching fast; the Sun will transit below the horizon and the last fingers of light will penetrate through limbs, branches, twigs and leaves to touch a bird atop a bush. In that moment that digit of light imparts a warm translucence to the bush and bird painting a glow against a dark region where the light can't enter. It is in that moment that all comes together in a brief moment of perfection...catch quickly...the Sun will withdraw it's hand and pull the darkness in behind it."

"Townsend's Solitaire

They have stood there for more than a thousand years. Among the largest living things on Earth. The irony is that they are the largest of the coniferous trees, but produce the smallest pine cones, and tiny seeds. Growth is slow, the years pass and if it survives, it attains gargantuan dimensions. Years roll by, time means very little to the giants. The wind sighs through the limbs; it is a calming sound. It is a cathedral of sorts. A place of contemplation. A place where the sounds of human origins is so foreign...strange...out of place; almost profane. Just listen; it is the only thing to do. From the deep shadows echoes a song. A rich, almost polyphonic aria that fits the acoustics of the coniferous cathedral. A Townsend's Solitaire has taken station on one of the pews that is the remnants of one of the giants that has succumbed to time. There the solitaire makes it's proclamation. It sings to no one in particular...it just sings. It is good that the song can't be understood in terms of words: they would only get in the way."

Made it a lovely morning.

Uncle Gus :)

Julie Kenward
10-20-2008, 01:59 PM
Wow, I'd say so. I'd love to be able to write like that! Thanks for the link Gus.

Lance Warley
10-20-2008, 02:11 PM
A second Wow from me.

Great catch, Gus. Thanks!

Fabs Forns
10-27-2008, 09:55 PM
Thanks, Uncle Gus :)