PDA

View Full Version : Back home again!

Tony Whitehead
10-20-2008, 03:17 AM
Since my last post I have enjoyed 3 weeks in South Africa which is my favourite bird and wildlife photography destination. I really enjoyed catching up with Chris van Rooyen and Albert Froneman at one of their workshops at the start of my trip and then spent 2 weeks out in the bush chasing birds and animals. My last post was of a Crested Barbet at it's nest hole taken 2 years ago. This is a picture of Crested Barbet at the same nest hole but perched on a branch above it after emerging - I like to think it is the same bird and it may well be. Just after sunrise with the warm sun behind me - fill flash from the left to try and lighten the entrance to the nest hole prior to it moving up to this perch -
Nikon D300
Nikon 200-400+1.4x @ 550mm - monopod
ISO 800 1/220sec f10 Matrix +0 SB800 Flash -1.3

Albert Froneman
10-20-2008, 09:13 AM
Awesome image Tony - crisp, clear and as sharp as they get!! :)

Was indeed a pleasure meeting you at our workshop - and we look forward to seeing you back here in South Africa in the future on one of our safaris ;)

Doug Brown
10-20-2008, 10:09 AM
Welcome back Tony! Nice to see you posting again. Great looking bird with a nice BG. A slight head turn would be nice, and I might tone down the perch a little. Looking forward to seeing more of your Africa stuff!

Daniel Cadieux
10-20-2008, 11:18 AM
This guy twisted his head around too much! Do you a a frame with a better head angle? It would be worth it as this looks like a great species of bird. Great perch and matching BG.

Chris van Rooyen
10-20-2008, 11:54 AM
Lovely light, sharpness and background. Was great having you around, hope to see you soon again;)

Vincent Grafhorst
10-20-2008, 12:52 PM
Very nice image Tony of one of the most striking birds in southern Africa. Perfect techs!

James Salywoda
10-20-2008, 08:20 PM
Beautiful bird Tony nice colors and details alittle less of a head turn would of been nice. Excellent Shot!

Gyorgy Szimuly
10-24-2008, 05:06 PM
Fantastic image. Very nice head turn and sharpness not mentioning the light.

Szimi