PDA

View Full Version : Clearing Storm

Chris Hansen
10-20-2008, 02:46 AM
I was digging through some old images tonight and came across this image from Death Valley about four years ago. It rained off and on the whole week while we were there to see the wildflowers. They were spectacular but so were the lighting conditions due to all clouds coming and going.

Canon 10D
Canon 100-400 IS @ 100mm
ISO 100
1/125 sec @ F5.6
Bogen 3021 tripod w 3055 ballhead
RS 80N3 Shutter release

There are a few telphone poles in the image that could be removed to improve it.

All CC appreciated.

God's good light to all,

Chris

Robert Amoruso
10-20-2008, 08:10 AM
Nice use of layers with the colors and light to dark in the image to add depth. I think your chosen composition presents all the visual elements in the image well.

If you are not opposed to it, you could clone out the phone poles.

Kaushik Balakumar
10-20-2008, 01:33 PM
Liked the layers of mountains & the different colour & light falling on them. The patches of clouds add interest.
TFS Chris.

Roman Kurywczak
10-20-2008, 04:00 PM
Hey Chris,
I love the layers of the clouds and mountains......not fond of the FG........so I went with a crop ( I also had to get rid of 2 protruding black twigs on bottom). I left the poles in............but would definitely opt for removal........as well as getting rid of the building ??? on right side. The image looked a bit flat on IE.........are you using firefox????..........because I saw the difference when Robert O'Toole posted a correction in Macro........so if you are........you may want to only use parts of the corrections I made. I recovered some of the whites in the clouds with the highlight slider in SH. I did a local contrast adjustment in USM 20/42/0 and then did some color correction by adding blue (looked a bit yellow to me). This made all the layers more dramatic IMO.......but you can tone it down to your peferences.
Overall........these are just tweaks and possible suggestion to explore..........in a very nicely composed image.

Dave Mills
10-20-2008, 10:34 PM
Great job Roman...now the image has contrast and really pops. I like the crop also.

Chris Hansen
10-20-2008, 11:45 PM
Roman,
Nice work. It is a major improvement on the image. Hopefully i can start getting these concepts and using them more.

Thanks and God bless,

Chris

Sabyasachi Patra
10-21-2008, 09:03 AM
Nice work. Lovely colours and use of layers. The poles are a eyesore.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
10-21-2008, 02:09 PM
Very nice Chris, Roman you really gave it the wow factor.

Gerald_Gilligan
10-22-2008, 11:42 PM
Chris,
Great shot and timing...death valley with rain is rare to say the least.
Roman gave this image more dimension with his tweaks....

Jerry