PDA

View Full Version : ID?

allanrube
10-19-2008, 03:27 PM
I shot this bird early this morning. It is a toss shot, but I am wondering what it is?

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/397631044_zTDgL-L.jpg

Dan Brown
10-19-2008, 05:13 PM
Looks like a Golden-crowned Kinglet to me.

allanrube
10-19-2008, 05:19 PM
That is what a few others have told me too. Thanks.

Dave Brown
10-19-2008, 05:58 PM
Hi,'

Absolutely a Golden-crowned Kinglet. One of two Kinglet species in North America, the other being Ruby-crowned Kinglet. I think it would be interesting if when folks post an image for id they give a basic run down of their thoughts on the bird, to let others know what they were thinking when they were viewing the bird.For example, when you saw this bird, you might have been thinking, is this some sort of warbler? Then we could identify the bird for you and also advise you how to separate Kinglets and warblers. Just a thought...

Dave Brown

Judd Patterson
10-20-2008, 07:46 PM
The little Golden-crowned Kinglets are so amazingly small. It's hard to figure out how such a small bird can survive the frigid cold where they winter...their small size works against them in the cold!

allanrube
10-20-2008, 07:48 PM
The bird just "popped out" for a few seonds and then went back into the depths of the pine tree away from teh wind.

allanrube
10-20-2008, 09:43 PM
Hi,'

AFor example, when you saw this bird, you might have been thinking, is this some sort of warbler? Then we could identify the bird for you and also advise you how to separate Kinglets and warblers. Just a thought...

Dave Brown

OK - sounds good. I thought it was a type of warbler because all I had been seeing were warblers and sparrow and this wasn't a sparrow. So I looked at warblers in Sibley's Guide and did not find anything. So I asked.

Interested, as always, in your thoughts.