PDA

View Full Version : Lily Pads

Mike Fuhr
10-19-2008, 02:16 PM
I took this one several weeks ago in a spring in southern Oklahoma. I really liked the water droplets and the contrast with the dark water. Let me know what you think...

Nikon D50
100-300 F4
125 mm
F/8
1/320
ISO 200
Hand held

Thanks,

Mike

Robert O'Toole
10-19-2008, 06:45 PM
Nice idea Mike, the comp is very good and sky reflections is a nice touch.

I wish the image was a some what brighter.

Robert

Mike Fuhr
10-19-2008, 07:53 PM
It looks good on my monitor but I usually get a comment about that problem from others. I need to lighten before I post any pics...

Mike Fuhr
10-19-2008, 08:15 PM
Here it is lightened quite a bit...

Kaushik Balakumar
10-20-2008, 07:58 AM
Lovely image Mike. Liked the warm glow from the leaves (reflecting the sun rays). Loved the contrast too.
IMHO, I liked the original - felt there was no problem with its exposure/brightness levels. I feel by brightening it up, the images loses the mood & feel. But that's just me.

Julie Kenward
10-20-2008, 07:48 PM
Well, Mike, this is perplexing. I think the top one is too dark and flat and the bottom one is too light and flat. I tried playing with it in curves and levels and I can't get anything I like better so I'm not sure what to tell you. I would say that I like the original more than the repost but it does still feel dark and flat to me. I wish I could be of more help.

And don't get me wrong...it's certainly not a bad image...I just can't get over how flat the green looks when it is usually such a vibrant color. Maybe it's because it is blending in so well with the shade of the water? I'm just not sure...

Chris Starbuck
10-20-2008, 09:02 PM
Mike,
I like the basic composition, but have to echo the previous comments about the lack of "pop".

Here's my attempt at getting that "pop".

First, used the quick select tool to select the lily pads, then refined selection to expand it and add a good feather.
Next, added a Vibrance layer (in CS4) -- the selection becomes the layer mask -- and added about +60 Vibrance and +20 Saturation.
Then tried several things with the BG, but nothing I tried made it look better. I like the dark water anyway.
Finally, I cropped to make the pads more dominant and eliminate the light area at UR, resized to the original 800 px wide, and resharpened.

Better?

Mike Moats
10-21-2008, 07:08 PM
Hey Mike, I think you founs a real nice set of pads and would like to see it cropped a little tighter. I like the process that Chris applied, nice contrast.