PDA

View Full Version : An eye for an eye ....

Jerry van Dijk
10-19-2008, 02:09 PM
Panasonic DMC-FZ18, handheld (IS), 13 mm (78 mm DSLR equiv.) with macro conversion filter, ISO100, F/3.2, 1/500 sec., pattern metering, EC -0.3, RAW.

I while ago, I received comments here on another picture of a dragonfly regarding the point of focus, which was on the thorax rather than on the eye. This picture, which I liked better, suffered from the same problem. Luckily, seconds after this frame, I shot another frame which was a close up of just the head. I copied the eye from the close up and pasted it over the unfocussed eye in this image. Slightly rotated, decreased the size and adjusted brightness and contrast to match the rest of the image and there you go. Point of self criticism: I was so close on the animal that my lens produced a significant shadow in the FG.
This dragonfly is Sympetrum striolatum, the most common df in The Netherlands, but a beautiful animal nonetheless!
Let me know what you think of it.
- Jerry -

Robert O'Toole
10-19-2008, 06:44 PM
Hi Jerry,

This species is beautiful. I like the 3/4 view and the close up eye contact.

I would run a little USM on the thorax and face and just a little NR on the Bg.

Robert

Julie Kenward
10-20-2008, 02:12 PM
This is better Jerry! I agree that it could use a bit more sharpening and a little noise reduction but you definitely improved this one over the other image. Your hard work shows!