PDA

View Full Version : Fall color, Halloween!

Dan Brown
10-19-2008, 10:58 AM
Fall color, Halloween!:D Captured with a handheld Nikon D200, 24-120mm lens at 82mm, f11, 1/125th sec, AF mode, auto exp mode, exp comp -.33, pattern metering mode, fill flash with SB800 -2.0 stops. PP'd in CS3, sharpened with Nik sharpener pro. C&C welcome. Have fun trick-or-treating:)

Kaushik Balakumar
10-19-2008, 01:45 PM
Liked ur idea here Dan. But feel that the contrast is a bit too harsh. Also wondering if a circular polarizer wud've helped...

Robert O'Toole
10-19-2008, 06:41 PM
Nice image Dan good idea. The shapes textures and details are great, but the contrast is on the high side for me also.

Robert

Dan Brown
10-19-2008, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, here's an attempt at reducing the contrast using a curves layer and a medium contrast setting.

Julie Kenward
10-20-2008, 02:13 PM
I do like the repost better and love the overall pattern. I played with something quite similar to this last year around this time and never got anything I liked but this has a good flow to it.

Chris Starbuck
10-20-2008, 03:07 PM
Dan,
I also like the repost better. I like the riot of colors, shapes, and textures -- lots of interesting things to explore.

There are two gourds that have my attention bouncing between them -- the round orange one at top center, and the white one at lower left. The first because of the strong round shape and strong color (orange against green) and tonal (light against very dark) contrasts; the second because it's the lightest object in the frame. To my eye, a square crop that places these two in approximately opposite positions strengthens the comp. What do you think?

Dan Brown
10-20-2008, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the kind comments. Chris, thanks for the repost, I think you are right, the square crop strengthens the composition, but now that you have brought the round, orange gourd to my attention, I can't stop looking at it! Oh well, thanks again for improving the comp.

Mike Moats
10-21-2008, 05:29 PM
Hey Dan, nice shot, I think I like the contrast in the first post better. But I like contrast.