PDA

View Full Version : Hillsborough River State Park, FL Rapids No. 2

Robert Amoruso
10-18-2008, 08:48 PM
Another rapids image from Hillsborough River State Park.

5 images bracketed and combined in Photomatix using Exposure Blending. This scene was extreme high contrast and required two different psuedo-reverse s-curves to tame contrast, Shadow/Highlight adjustment for highlights and then some cloning to remove blown out portions of the water. A polarizer was used.

As can sometimes be a problem, I have ghosting in the upper L & R corners and lower R corner - however, I like the affect here.

Comments welcome.

Canon 1D Mark III
17-40mm @ 40mm
Subject dist: 655m
1/13 sec, 1/6, 1/3, .6, 1.3
f/22
Mode: Av
Metering: Evaluative
AEB comp: -2, -1, 0, +1, +2
ISO: 400

Maxis Gamez
10-18-2008, 09:57 PM
Cool Robert, I like the flow and the bird!!

Good technique!

Roman Kurywczak
10-19-2008, 04:46 PM
Hey Robert,
I don't mind the LR blur......but for me the top of the image isn't that exciting. I did the old browser crop.......and scrolled till I had just a bit of room abovethe 2 brighter rocks on the left ROT position. For me.........this is a stronger diagonal comp.........and the rocks become more prominent. bonus is.....it keeps the egret.(or is it an Ibis?)

Robert Amoruso
10-19-2008, 07:13 PM
I see what you mean Roman. Thanks for the advice.
Is this what you had in mind? Ibis.

Roman Kurywczak
10-20-2008, 04:14 PM
Yep....or just cover up the small rock at the top 3rd right......but this puts the Ibis pretty close to top edge........maybe crop as you presented.....with some top left edge clean up..........either way this works for me better. The rocks and water seem to hold my interest very well.

Judd Patterson
10-21-2008, 07:38 PM
I love that ibis on that rock, but I struggle a bit with the rest of the scene...lots of elements in play all over and no clear path for my eye. Maybe focusing in on a much smaller area would have successful? These wide angle images can be tough to pull off when you are limited by available viewpoints. I wonder how deep and fast the river is. I always love to get in a river and photograph from a low angle...wonder if that was even a possibility here. Glad you made to Hillsborough River State Park...it's been on my list for a while.

Robert Amoruso
10-22-2008, 06:46 AM
I love that ibis on that rock, but I struggle a bit with the rest of the scene...lots of elements in play all over and no clear path for my eye. Maybe focusing in on a much smaller area would have successful? These wide angle images can be tough to pull off when you are limited by available viewpoints. I wonder how deep and fast the river is. I always love to get in a river and photograph from a low angle...wonder if that was even a possibility here. Glad you made to Hillsborough River State Park...it's been on my list for a while.

I agree that it may be busy but I was attracted to the scene for three reasons. One was the extreme contrast and I was interested if with exposure blending I could capture a long tonal range - that I feel I did and am happy with the result. The Ibis was my second interest and the third being the growth in the water flowing in streams with it. Going in downstream, which I did had you shooting into the sun and was not pleasing and upstream was blocked with a new fence. This was taken from the trail 90 deg to the light which was more pleasing IMO light direction wise.

Another part of the river I was going to attempt to go in was deep (over waist) and slippery and all I had was my beach waders. Next time I bring my cleated wading shoes for better access. All in all I guess I am more happy with the result then others are, then again that is who I am trying to please with this image.

Thanks for your comments as they are always welcome.