PDA

View Full Version : Saving the Fall Color Reds

Arthur Morris
10-18-2008, 07:51 PM
Fall color leaves on the lawn of the public library in Brunswick, ME. Canon 15mm fish eye lens with the EOS-1D MII. Giotto's tiny ballhead, P-5 camera body plate, and Gitzo 3530 LS CF tripod.

Evaluative metering +1 1/3 stops: 1/10 sec. at f/16. Mirror-lock and two second self-timer.

All comments welcome.

I reduced the red SAT to increase detail in the reds but if I went too far, the reds lost their pop... See the next pane for the solution.

Arthur Morris
10-18-2008, 07:54 PM
I added 60 points of CYAN to the REDs in Selective Color to the image here and was amazed at the improvement. Now I have to go back and re-work all of my Caspian Tern images!

ps: The REDs in this pane look much better on the j-peg than they do on the TIFF...

Roman Kurywczak
10-18-2008, 08:45 PM
Hey Atie,
I like the effect the fisheye had on the overall scene...........some will argue no center point of interest.......but the circular effect of the fisheye gives a very interesting comp.......it almost envelopes you. The cyan boost definitely helped..........and I will add a tip for all..........think of color wheels........(primary/secondary colors R/Y/B...green/orange/purple)........adding the opposite/contrasting color.........will enhance the color you are looking to pop.........old art school trick. Not as easy in PS.....but adding the opposite.......like you did in this case........helped dramatically.

Robert O'Toole
10-18-2008, 09:05 PM
Artie,

Since I am viewing BPN on a color managed browser, FireFox3, your images quality looks to be the opposite. The OP looks good and the second post has way blown out reds.
The way my browser is set up, an image looks almost exactly the same as Photoshop. If I view the same image with IE, its looks totally different, much flatter and less saturated.

Robert

Here is an example:

Robert O'Toole
10-18-2008, 09:09 PM
Ignoring the color management issue. I like the image a lot, I am always a fan of creative closeups, esp with a fisheye, and this one is really good.

Congrats!

Robert

Roman Kurywczak
10-18-2008, 09:12 PM
Hey Robert,
That's very interesting..........this is original post correct???..........I am using IE so it looks closest to original on your repost. Question for you.........since most people use IE........why use firefox??? (even if it is calibrated)........personal choice or othe reasons???

Robert O'Toole
10-18-2008, 09:44 PM
Hey Robert,
That's very interesting..........this is original post correct???..........I am using IE so it looks closest to original on your repost. Question for you.........since most people use IE........why use firefox??? (even if it is calibrated)........personal choice or othe reasons???

Originally I tried FF because it was color managed and also my IE was so unstable even on a brand new PC! FF has really impressed me with stability and speed. Also there are tons of cool plugins, you can click to remove banners, etc etc.

When I look at an image in PS, also color managed, it will look almost identical as the image when viewed in FF with color mangement enabled.

It would be interesting to see the BPN members IE users Vs FF numbers. Last I read IE was around 74% market share worldwide.

BTW safari is also color managed AFAIK.

Robert

Robert O'Toole
10-18-2008, 09:57 PM
Sorry Roman I neglected to mention that you did bring up a great point in regards to using FF vs IE.

Why use something that is not really popular with the rest of the world? I do because its so much better, you can ask the same question to any mac user out there why they use a mac over a PC, and the answer should be similar.

I like to browse with FF but I do have to keep IE around to proof images just as a Mac user should proof images in PS for PC gamma before posting.

Robert

Arthur Morris
10-19-2008, 07:46 AM
Artie, Since I am viewing BPN on a color managed browser, FireFox3, your images quality looks to be the opposite. The OP looks good and the second post has way blown out reds.
The way my browser is set up, an image looks almost exactly the same as Photoshop. If I view the same image with IE, its looks totally different, much flatter and less saturated. Robert Here is an example:

I agree, the second post is the one with the blown reds which shows well as you stated in Firefox but not in I.E. Is Firefox free?

Mike Moats
10-19-2008, 07:55 AM
Hey Artie, really like the look, and I like your idea of using the fish-eye lens, I think I will look into buying one for the creative style it produces. Thanks.

Julie Kenward
10-20-2008, 02:20 PM
I like the fisheye look as well. Very creative side to a pile of leaves, Artie!