PDA

View Full Version : Fire Sale Mum

Gordon Craig
10-17-2008, 06:13 PM
I bought a mum that was for sale at $1.99 in a grocery store. I had a feeling I could get some nice pictures because it looked very healthy. This is one of my favorite shots of the flower. I shot this with a Canon 5D, 180 mm Canon Lens at 800 ISO, 1/8 shutter, and F32 Aperture.

Julie Kenward
10-17-2008, 06:54 PM
Gordon, I really like the way you've managed to capture different layers of light throughout the mum. You do have quite a bit of noise going on in the darker areas - that tends to happen with a slow shutter speed and a high ISO. If you have access to a noise reduction program I'd run it through and see what you come up with.

Might I also suggest that since you cropped the bottom petals that it might look nice to crop the top ones a bit as well...

Robert O'Toole
10-17-2008, 07:02 PM
The dramatic BG and the soft light are nice.

There are a few processing problems.

The first thing I notice is some artifacts in the black areas along the edges and near the bottom.

Also there is quite a bit of noise, always try to expose to the right to limit the effects of noise. NR would help here.

Lastly you have some sensor dust.

Robert

Chris Starbuck
10-17-2008, 07:35 PM
The dramatic BG and the soft light are nice.

There are a few processing problems.

The first thing I notice is some artifacts in the black areas along the edges and near the bottom.

Also there is quite a bit of noise, always try to expose to the right to limit the effects of noise. NR would help here.

Lastly you have some sensor dust.

Robert

Robert,
A question for you...
A number of times I've noticed you commenting on noise or artifacts in an image that I can't see at all, and I'm wondering why. In this particular case I can clearly see the noise in the flower, and what I think are the dust spots (at least a couple), but the BG just looks solid black to me. I saved a copy of the image, opened it in CS2, and the only way I can get anything to show up in the BG is to pull the Levels middle slider left to around 3 (which is really extreme). My monitor is a Dell 3007WFP 30" LCD, calibrated just yesterday (standard PC 6500K & gamma 2.2). Any ideas?

Chris Starbuck
10-17-2008, 07:38 PM
Gordon,
I'll echo Jules' comments. I would crop down just far enough to eliminate any black BG at the upper right corner.

Robert O'Toole
10-17-2008, 09:05 PM
Robert,
A question for you...
A number of times I've noticed you commenting on noise or artifacts in an image that I can't see at all, and I'm wondering why. In this particular case I can clearly see the noise in the flower, and what I think are the dust spots (at least a couple), but the BG just looks solid black to me. I saved a copy of the image, opened it in CS2, and the only way I can get anything to show up in the BG is to pull the Levels middle slider left to around 3 (which is really extreme). My monitor is a Dell 3007WFP 30" LCD, calibrated just yesterday (standard PC 6500K & gamma 2.2). Any ideas?

Great question Chris.

You don't mention your browser, I am using Firefox 3 with color profile support enabled and its obvious to my eye at normally viewing size.

After you asked I checked IE and it was not as noticeable. Here is a 300 % blow up to make it easier to see, with PS above and IE below.

I usually do notice more obvious and not so obvious processing problems than most people here. This may be from working professionally with post processing for almost 10 yrs.

Robert

Robert O'Toole
10-17-2008, 09:06 PM
My example post actually looks worse than reality since its blown up so much and the capture program I used adds sharpening and some contrast and sat. So its not that accurate but at least its easy to see now.

Robert

Chris Starbuck
10-17-2008, 11:44 PM
Robert,
Thanks for the response. I can certainly see the artifacts at 300%, and once pointed out, I can see them (just barely) in the original post. I suspect difference in eyesight, as well as experience, is a factor in my missing such things.:o

I'm also using Firefox 3 (3.0.3) and I can't find where to enable color profile support.

Robert O'Toole
10-18-2008, 08:55 AM
Robert,
Thanks for the response. I can certainly see the artifacts at 300%, and once pointed out, I can see them (just barely) in the original post. I suspect difference in eyesight, as well as experience, is a factor in my missing such things.:o

I'm also using Firefox 3 (3.0.3) and I can't find where to enable color profile support.

In the address bar type:

about:config

Then scroll down to:

gfx.color_management.enabled
gfx.color_management.display_profile

And double click on the value column to change.

Let me know if this doesnt work out. Also it seems like its slows down FF a little but its worth it.

With this on images in FF3 should look exactly like they do in PS.

Robert

Chris Starbuck
10-18-2008, 12:00 PM
Thanks, Robert.
It's kind of hard to tell what difference that made without a direct before/after comparison, but the colors do seem to match between FF & PS.