PDA

View Full Version : Dipping A Toe In The Pond

Julie Kenward
10-17-2008, 06:07 PM
Saw this leaf this afternoon as I was walking through a local nature area shortly after a morning rain. I was attracted to contrasting colors and textures but knew I had to make the image when I saw that slice of blue sky reflected in the water.

Canon 40D, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
f7.1 @ 1/50th, ISO 250
Manual Mode, Pattern Metering
Handheld, Natural light
Processed in ACR & CS4 (yes! I said CS4!) :D

Slight crop, level and curves adjustments.

Chris Starbuck
10-17-2008, 07:18 PM
Jules,
Well seen! I like what you liked about it, and you've composed it well. I'd prefer more contrast, and a darker BG - everythiing above/behind the bowl where the leaf is sitting.

Robert O'Toole
10-17-2008, 07:22 PM
Its different Julie and I like it. The soft light looks great.

I agree with Chris about the bright outer areas. This is 2 second fix.

The viewers eye will always be drawn to brighter tones. Normally you would want to have the opposite tone distribution.

Robert

Julie Kenward
10-17-2008, 07:52 PM
Chris & Robert, I agree with you that normally you would want the BG to be darker but is that true in this case? The dry areas will blend in with the wet area if I darken it, won't it? That was my thought anyway...I wanted the viewer to see the dry vs. the wet area. Am I wrong?

Chris Starbuck
10-17-2008, 08:25 PM
Jules,
Here's a quick take on what I suggested. (a masked multiply layer at about 25% opacity, and increased contrast) I think the distinction between wet & dry is still clear. Your thoughts?

Julie Kenward
10-17-2008, 08:53 PM
Hmm, maybe something between the two? Maybe it's just because I am remembering how I saw it and that is closer to the original. I might have to sleep on this one and have a go at it again when it's not so fresh in my mind.

Thanks for the idea, Chris. I'll play around with it tomorrow!

Ed Cordes
10-17-2008, 10:10 PM
I like the original. Well seen and well presented.