PDA

View Full Version : Marsh Tit

John Chardine
10-16-2008, 09:23 PM
I pushed the limits of the 40D here I think, but was keen to post an image of this lifer species for me, and one that you don't see much here at BPN- the Marsh Tit. The bird was photographed at the National Horticultural Society garden at Harlow Carr, near Harrowgate in Yorkshire. Field marks of this species shown in the image include shiny cap, small black bib and no light bar on wing.

Light levels were very low hence the ISO setting. I was in a hide and the tits were coming to a feeder nearby (note seed in bird's bill). I had to deal with noticeable noise in the BG and parts of the bird but I think something was salvaged.

Canon EOS 40D
capture date: Friday, October 3, 2008 1:53:56 AM
exposure program: Aperture Priority
ISO speed: 1600
shutter speed: 1/400
aperture: f5.6
exposure bias: -0.7
metering: Pattern
flash: OFF
focal length: 280.0

Maxis Gamez
10-16-2008, 09:34 PM
HI John,

I like the composition and perch but the bird looks out of focus.

Doug Brown
10-16-2008, 11:37 PM
I think it looks pretty good for ISO 1600 on a 40D. I agree with Maxis about the bird being a little soft, but some extra sharpening and a contrast boost help. How do you like the repost?

John Chardine
10-17-2008, 06:00 AM
Nice Doug. Thanks. The difference is subtle but there. I know I pushed this image too far and part of that was the heavy crop needed for composition. Just about the only thing in focus is the eye with the f5.6 providing minimal DoF. I forgot to mention the lens was the 70-200 f4 with the 1.4t c attached. Of course the problem with sharpening is the trade-off between noise and sharpness. I was reluctant to push the sharpening further because of the noise. You seem to have managed it Doug.

Judy Lynn Malloch
10-17-2008, 02:04 PM
Like the repost Doug. Beautifully exposed and a lovely pose and composition John !!! Thanks for sharing.