PDA

View Full Version : Which Sandpiper?

Raul Quinones
10-16-2008, 07:23 PM
From Fort DeSoto GTG.
Probably a easy ID, but not for me... I use the my bird guide and the net and still can figure out.
I should mention that I observe this bird side by side to a Sanderling and the one show here was slightly smaller.

Semipalmated or Least?

Thanks in advance, Raul (The sandpiper ID challenge)

John Chardine
10-16-2008, 07:33 PM
Note the leg colour. This gives the species away. I won't say what it is though!!!!

Raul Quinones
10-16-2008, 08:12 PM
John,
I am assuming I narrow it down correctly to least or semipalmated... after "googling" again, it have to be a Least Sandpiper.

Thanks, Raul

John Chardine
10-16-2008, 08:29 PM
Sibley notes for the Least Sandpiper "greenish legs unique among peeps" so I think you are correct. Not sure when the GTG was but was it late enough for this brownish bird to be a juvenile moving south?

Raul Quinones
10-16-2008, 10:21 PM
Sibley notes for the Least Sandpiper "greenish legs unique among peeps" so I think you are correct. Not sure when the GTG was but was it late enough for this brownish bird to be a juvenile moving south?

John,
The GTG was this past weekend, October 11 and 12. Thanks for the info, I really appreciated.

Raul

Arthur Morris
10-17-2008, 10:24 AM
The bird is an adult Least that has already completed its molt to winter or basic plumage. Juveniles would still have upperparts feathers edged in white but not so neatly as in late AUG. Again, do consider Shorbird's; Beautiful Beachcombers..All the info is there; why waste time on Google?

Dave Brown
10-17-2008, 04:54 PM
Hey,

I agree with Artie..Google is ok for looking for pics of bird that you already know how to identify but I wouldn't trust it as a resource for identification, as there are many mis-identifications. Just to add on what Artie said, juv Leasts would also show quite a bit of rufous in the plumage, especially in the upperparts( scapulars and wing coverts) neatly edged in white( this holds true for many shorebird species). Also it is worth noting the shape of the bill, somewhat finer tipped than Semipalmated, but of course the yellow legs exclude other small species, 99.9% of the time..but yellowish legged Semi palms exist, so you must be aware of that possability!

Dave Brown

David Tyrer
10-17-2008, 06:46 PM
This time, I agree with Artie, a mature, winter plumaged Least Sandpiper.

Judd Patterson
10-19-2008, 11:08 AM
As you become more familiar with sandpipers it becomes obvious how small these guys are too. The Least Sandpiper is the smallest sandpiper species in the world!!