PDA

View Full Version : Blacklight Vase

Dave Woeller
10-16-2008, 06:35 PM
Many of you may be familiar with blacklight techniques, but thought I would share. This is a scan from an older velvia transparency shot in a Canon Elan II E. The techinique is done in camera and is simple and fun. I used 3 blacklight fluorescernt tubes ( the type sold in novelty stores) as the only light. The colors are actually achieved by pieces of cut and shaped fluorescent poster card stock placed in, behind, or under the vase. The blacklight will cause the fluorescent paper to glow and the cuts in the glass will pick up the color. It must be done in a darkened room. Exposures need to be bracketed quite a bit to get the best saturation. I have also seen other objects besides glass used. I did a shot called "The End" using plastic fish, a shark, and fake grass. It is really cute. Hope you enjoy.

Joanna Trescott
10-17-2008, 08:53 AM
Simply Beautiful. Really rich colors, nice composition. Very clever.

Dave Woeller
10-17-2008, 10:27 AM
Thank you Joanna. As I said it was fun. A few minutes after posting, I thought Oh My Gosh, it really isn't a nature subject, so if it's out of line the moderators can delete if nesessary. I was just excited to share the technique.

Jackie Schuknecht
10-17-2008, 10:46 AM
Hi Dave,
I am usually in the ETL section, but was just browsing around and thought this was pretty cool. Love the colours coming out of the crystal. You'll be giving Gus advice pretty soon on lighting.:)

Dave Woeller
10-17-2008, 12:03 PM
Thanks Jackie, and I'm glad you happened to stop by. Gus is "The Man". His posts are always an inspiration to me.

Julie Kenward
10-17-2008, 07:02 PM
Dave, this is VERY creative! What a beautiful image! I love the colors and the composition. You've done an outstanding job on this!

Fabs Forns
10-18-2008, 08:13 AM
Very beautiful effect, Dave, thanks for sharing your technique with us :)

Roman Kurywczak
10-18-2008, 11:06 AM
Hey Dave,
must be a Jersey thing..........as i've judged many black light images on the camera club circuit. You have the technique down very well..........really nice use of the colors.

Gus Cobos
10-18-2008, 10:26 PM
Hi Dave,
Well done. This is excellent; definition and transparent clarity are in check...proud of you...:cool: The contrast levels are well balanced...now we need to talk about using fiber optic strings for light enhancements...:)

Dave Woeller
10-19-2008, 08:03 AM
Thanks Julie and Fabs, as always your encouragement is what keeps me going. Roman, it's funny that you should mention the Jersey thing. I learned this from a clinic at a photo club meeting here in Jersey, but have seen or heard little of it anywhere else. Now Gus, I believe you are trying to send me into a meltdown :D(Fiber optics? sounds cool). Seriously, my home studio currently uses constant light (Daylight blue tungsten). I am attending the Photoplus Expo show in New York City this week and intend to absorb as much as I can on lighting. Maybe some monolights are in my future.:)