10-16-2008, 04:25 PM
Canon 40D
Sigma 50-500
1/250"
F16
ISO 500
exposure +.33
266mm

Is this image better than the one with the dark bg going through the head? These are from last spring. I know the bird is just looking for breakfast here, but from the pose I keep thinking he must be saying "Gosh, I certainly am a handsome guy!!" lol

I still think that there is a lack of detail and sharpness in this set of images. Would a short dof have helped any? I could have zoomed in closer also, this was far from full frame. I guess I just got excited and forgot I had more zoom ability left. lol

After reading your comments on the previous image, I made some changes in the adjustments to this image. I would appreciate any additional comments you may have.

Nonda Surratt
10-16-2008, 04:48 PM
Cheryl,
I really like this, love the curve of the birds neck. I suppose the eye contact could be better but it doesn't bother me, a graceful image.

I think the detail is fine,but the better the light quality the more detail you get, least that is my experience. DOF is just fine, I don't even know what f16 is:D

denise ippolito
10-16-2008, 05:20 PM
I love the neck position and I agree w/ Nonda about the eye contact. You got another winner in my book!

Cheryl Flory
10-16-2008, 05:51 PM
Should I clone out that "stick sticking out of its tail end" as my dh puts it??

thank you for your comments. I learn so much from every image I post. Thank you.
Nonda, I have to learn that it's all about the light. This was my first ever chance to photograph birds, and I was so excited that I just couldn't bear to leave the water. lol

Harold Davis
10-16-2008, 05:56 PM
i think the big crop is the reason for the lack of detail you speak of. doesnt look bad though. the light does look flat. will hurt you! cool pose. the stick looks like feathers to me. doesnt really bother me.

Gus Cobos
10-16-2008, 07:14 PM
Hi Cheryl,
I like your composition...very good information given...good show...:cool: Not the ideal head angle; but lets just say that he was looking at something...:D

Cheryl Flory
10-16-2008, 08:29 PM
Harold, yes it is feathers.

Alfred Forns
10-17-2008, 06:22 AM
Hi Cheryl There is a slight cast on the image Do like the composition and framing Detail wise its difficult to get them with those birds unless you have fairly ideal light, just a mater of feel.

Gail Spitler
10-18-2008, 10:55 PM
Hi Cheryl
I have looked at this image quite a bit to see what I would do with it if it were mine. I like the image and the technicals seem fine, but still something isn't right. I fooled around in PShop to no avail, then finally tried a tighter crop. It might be an improvement???? Then I noticed that Harold suggested something about the crop as well.
Cheers
Gail

Jackie Schuknecht
10-19-2008, 09:05 AM
Hi Cheryl,
I like this better than your first image because you have more detail in the chest area. I thought it had a bit of a magenta cast so I added some green.
You have the bird all in focus. Good job.

Cheryl Flory
10-19-2008, 06:18 PM
Thank you, everyone! I really appreciate your comments!