PDA

View Full Version : Above Ashcroft

Joanna Trescott
10-16-2008, 11:54 AM
This was taken this summer. This is always a difficult shot since the sun doesn't hit the foreground until mid morning. Canon 20D, 100-400mm @ 100. 1/800 @ F11, -2/3 EV

Chris Starbuck
10-16-2008, 06:30 PM
Joanna,
You have an interesting foreground, and I like the triangles formed by the hills on either side. There's a definte sense of depth. But the light at mid-day, especially at higher elevations, is pretty flat.

I understand about the lighting; I've got some similar shots in different locations. Perhaps the best solution is to make the image when the light is best on the BG, take a 2nd exposure for the foreground, and blend them.

After the fact, I think darkening the BG (multiply at about 25% opacity) and increasing overall contrast (using LCE/USM 25/30/0) helps. Cropped a bit off the top, to remove some of the blank sky.

Chris

Kaushik Balakumar
10-16-2008, 08:02 PM
Nice image with fence running across into the frame.
Liked Chris' re-post a lot (except that I might have not cropped the sky so much). Contrast seems to be good in the re-post.
:)

Robert Amoruso
10-17-2008, 12:32 PM
Joanna,

I like Chris' contrast enhancements but not the crop. I have looked at the fence a lot here and I like the fact that it is diagonal, it is a leading line and that it draws you into the image. However, to blends into the dark green treed slope too much and kind of traps my eye in the shadows.Perhaps some better tonal separation of tones in that are would help.

Roman Kurywczak
10-17-2008, 09:05 PM
Hey Joanna,
I like your comp here. yes time of day could have been a bit better........but it wasn't that off IMO. Looks like you had a bit of haze on the mtns............so I took a bit of Chris's LCE correction..........but first i lightened the evergreens as per Robert's suggestion. I also did not like the 2nd crop but preferred your original. Oveall these were just tweaks to a very nice comp.

Dave Mills
10-18-2008, 12:07 AM
I like what you did with the image Roman. The red flowers are more distinctive as well as the lightened conifers. It seems like there is more contrast in the mountains which gives them more dimension.

Joanna Trescott
10-18-2008, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the nice repost, Roman. That improves the image alot. Chris, I will go back next summer and try the double exposure. Thanks for the suggestions.

Robert Amoruso
10-18-2008, 11:38 AM
I like what you did Roman and that is what I was referring to in the dark green tree area