PDA

View Full Version : Lake Martin Great Egret

susanschermer
10-16-2008, 08:10 AM
This one from a 2005 trip to Lake Martin with Artie. I used the 70-200 at 120 mm. ISO200 1/125 at f8. Wildlife plus scenery really does it for me.
I read that the rookery is active again, also that it is closed during breeding season. What a shame! Does anybody know more?

Judy Lynn Malloch
10-16-2008, 12:54 PM
Very pretty setting and composition Susan and I love that you were able to capture the reflection. A beautiful image.

Bill McCrystyn
10-16-2008, 08:49 PM
A wildlife landscape. Great wingspan, sweet BG. Pretty stuff.

Maxis Gamez
10-16-2008, 09:20 PM
Hi Susan,

Love the warm light. I would like to see a little more separation between the Egret and the green... that's about it for me!!

Can't help you with your question... sorry!

Tim Vidrine
10-17-2008, 06:46 AM
Hi Susan,

The rookery is active, but accessible only by boat which is illegal during nesting season. The birds have moved away from the road a few hundred yards. I’m told this was the nesting area in the early days. As the number of nests increased the birds moved closer to the road. I spend most of my spring mornings at Lake Martin prior to work for the song bird migration. The photo opportunities for the nesting egrets, herons, and spoonbills are slim.<O:p
<O:p
However, they are building a board walk into the lake. I believe they’ve started the project, but don’t know the projected completion date.

susanschermer
10-17-2008, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the update, Tim. I'll be eager to know when the boardwalk is ready.