PDA

View Full Version : Woody

bill kominsky
10-15-2008, 08:00 PM
Woody from the new 50-D folks with very little editing of any type. The images were sharp and well defined and very easy to handle, a very lovely camera

Canon 50-D at f/8 @ 1/320th of a sec. A-mode and a 100-400 IS at 400-MM. ISO=400
Please let me know and all visits and comments are greatly appreciated.

Bill

John Chardine
10-15-2008, 08:51 PM
What was the ISO setting Bill? (OK now I see it; must be going blind!). There seems to be some noise in the BG above the bird.

Nice Red-bellied WP! The comp is unusual but with the bird more to the right, the tree trunk would have stuck out like a sore thumb as they say. The highlights in and around the pine are hot. Maybe some S/H in Ps would tone them down.

Doug Brown
10-15-2008, 09:44 PM
Congrats on your new 50D Bill! I'll be interested to see what you think of it in the coming weeks. This was a tough shooting situation due to the relatively dark foreground and bright BG. It does seem a little noisy for ISO 400 in the top of the frame. Still, it's a nice first post. New bodies take time to become accustomed to, but I believe it's time well spent with the 50D.

Ramon M. Casares
10-15-2008, 11:34 PM
Nice, I like the species a lot, the BG with that burned branch is a bit distracting and about the compo I would've left a bit more room to the left, there is a lot of noise but that can be easily removed, higher shutter speed would've helped to get a sharper image, I would've probably expose to the BG and use a flash to fill the bird who I guess was in the shadows. Still, very nice! Congratulaitons!

bill kominsky
10-16-2008, 07:36 AM
I saw the noise and was pretty disapointed in that I thought the camera would handle it better, this image was all no editing and almost directly out of the camera, next time I will edit somewhat, thank you all so much and if any help with the noise is out there it would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

Doug Brown
10-16-2008, 08:10 AM
Hey Bill, was this shot RAW or JPEG? If it was shot RAW, what program did you use for RAW conversion?

John Chardine
10-16-2008, 09:05 AM
I saw the noise and was pretty disapointed in that I thought the camera would handle it better, this image was all no editing and almost directly out of the camera, next time I will edit somewhat, thank you all so much and if any help with the noise is out there it would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

Bill- I use Noise Ninja but I often find that a noise "touch-up" can be accomplished with a soft (zero hardness) blur brush in Ps. This works for areas that are OOF to begin with like BGs. Here is your image after about 2 minutes work with the brush.

Judy Lynn Malloch
10-16-2008, 01:16 PM
Lovely capture of the red bellied woodpecker Bill. I too use noise ninja and it works very well. Thanks for sharing.