PDA

View Full Version : Bonaparte's gull

Richard Stern
10-15-2008, 06:46 PM
One of a small flock feeding around the fish plant at Wallace, Nova Scotia recently. D300,Tamron 200-500, hand-held. 1/400, f10.0, ISO 640. I think I was lucky to get a reasonably sharp image with these settings at 500mm, just as he paused to pick up a morsel from the surface of the water!

Richard

Linda Robbins
10-15-2008, 08:11 PM
You have captured a very nice feeding pose with good wing and head positions. The water patterns add a nice touch and I like the blurred reflection. Since you didn't have to worry about dof for this capture, you could have chosen to shoot wide open instead of at f/10 which would have given you a faster shutter speed. The whites are a bit over. You have to be fast to catch this action...great job.

Robert O'Toole
10-15-2008, 08:19 PM
Agree with Linda, nice but the whites are hot and a WO aperture choice could have been better.

I notice some sharpening halos or artifacts in the water also.

Is this Tamron lens sharp WO? I have owned super sharp Tamron lenses in the past but I have never used the 200-500.

Robert

Richard Stern
10-16-2008, 08:02 AM
Is this Tamron lens sharp WO? I have owned super sharp Tamron lenses in the past but I have never used the 200-500.

Robert[/quote]

Hi, and thanks for the comments.

The only other long lens I have to compare it with is the Nikon 80-400mm. VR, which I think is a tad sharper (although that might be the effect of the VR, since I frequently hand-hold). If I use the Tamron 200-500 on a tripod, I haven't noticed any problem with sharpness at any aperture.

Richard