PDA

View Full Version : By The Light Of The Moon

Mike Moats
10-15-2008, 01:12 PM
Just happen to look at the moon last night and saw this cool cloud formation. I have never shot any night scenes like this so it was out of my realm of experience.

Fuji S5, Sigma 180, F11, 2sec., ISO3200

Chris Starbuck
10-15-2008, 03:55 PM
I have never shot any night scenes like this so it was out of my realm of experience.

Mike,
That didn't keep you from creating yet another uniquely beautiful, abstract image.:) Don't think I've ever seen that sort of cloud structure before. Very interesting, and great colors.

Have you tried rotating it CCW 90? Gives it a whole different look.

It would be much less abstract, but it might have been interesting to see a 2-exposure composite with detail in the moon. I'm sure you know, but for the benefit of others new to night photography, the correct exposure to show detail in the moon is approximately "sunny 16" (f/16, SS 1/ISO), since the moon is reflecting direct sunlight.

Chris

Roman Kurywczak
10-15-2008, 04:57 PM
Hey Mike,
The textures in the clouds is outstanding. I do like Chris's idea of 2 exposures also........but as is..........the play within the cloudy areas .....of lighter/darker....and even colors.......is fantastic. I don't mind the movement of the moon......as it almost looks like water ripples or even sand ripples. Maybe a slighly more ROT position on the moon (or a rule of fourths)..........but all in all very nicely done for steping out of your realm!

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
10-15-2008, 05:14 PM
Nice photo Mike it looks like the werewolf moon with the orange hues as something is lurking on the fringe. tis the season

Robert Amoruso
10-17-2008, 12:26 PM
Very cool looking image Mike. First thing I though was CCW 90 deg. like Chris suggested for an alternate image.