PDA

View Full Version : Egyptian Goose

Christof Ruch
01-15-2008, 04:18 PM
This was on my first encounter with these birds back in last June at the Carl-Zeiss bird watching station near Hamburg, Germany (http://www.nabu.de/m03/m03_03/03676.html). They have luxury fixed blinds there, which is great, but permit only a certain angle to shoot through (no low-angles at all). Won't complain about the solid wooden huts with seating available, though, nor the show outside :-)

Christof

Technical data:
Nikon D70, Tokina 300/f4 with Kenko TC 1.4x from tripod,
AP mode at f6.3 with matrix metering resulted in 1/1000s at ISO 400.
Raw conversion with NC4, resizing, some levels, with CS3 including edge mask to sharpen. This is quite a crop, I'll show the full canvas in a post below.

Christof Ruch
01-15-2008, 04:21 PM
As promised, here is the full canvas of the image. I am actually quite unsure about where to crop. I tried it tighter than the version above, but then the poor bird has no room.

Alfred Forns
01-15-2008, 04:54 PM
Hi Cristof I moved this since it has the before and after Will get more comments here

I like the selected cropping Best position for the goose Excellent feather detail and love the open beak Might have wanted a slight head turn but looks very good Only clean water would have improved the image !!!!

Peter Hawrylyshyn
01-15-2008, 08:47 PM
Agree with the expert comments above
The crop fits the rule of 1/3's and works nicely to create a pleasing image

I might have preferred the beak out of the water - - but you take what's given to you.
You could also consider re-aligning the pupil and sharpening th eye a bit more - - but that's a minor nit

Nice effort - well done