PDA

View Full Version : Three Note Love Song

Russell Graves
10-14-2008, 06:58 PM
Bobwhite quail from the Texas Rolling Plains.

http://www.russellgraves.com/blog/uploaded_images/graves-285087.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Russell Graves
www.russellgraves.com

Neil Losin
10-14-2008, 07:20 PM
Beautiful graded-color BG and a nice singing pose. Lovely shot, Russell!

James Salywoda
10-14-2008, 08:22 PM
I love that BG and such a sweet pose captured. Well Done!

Nagesh Mula
10-15-2008, 12:39 AM
Very sharp and beautiful Color, Well Shot!!.

Juan Aragonés
10-15-2008, 08:29 AM
Russel the BG is terrific and I like a lot the bird´s pose with the open beak. The perch is not great and I think that the composition would be better if the bird were not so centered in the frame. A little bit of USM for web presentation would produce a better result IMO. Good job!

Mark Schmitt
10-15-2008, 08:45 AM
Don't see many of these posted. Nice image. ;-)

Russell Graves
10-15-2008, 10:22 AM
Russel the BG is terrific and I like a lot the bird´s pose with the open beak. The perch is not great and I think that the composition would be better if the bird were not so centered in the frame. A little bit of USM for web presentation would produce a better result IMO. Good job!

Juan, I am going to disagree with you, brother, on two points.

1. The perch is not great.

The perch is perfect because every spring, these little guys perch atop fence posts and call for mates. Therefore, the perch is a natural part of their habitat that illustrates the behavior beautifully.

2. The composition would be better...

This image was composed that way on purpose. When I shoot, I almost always tweak the conventional rules so that text elements fit well over the image. Since this image is uncropped in any way, you can see how much space is above the bird and that is done for a particular reason - mainly for use in publications. A companion photo that was shot a minute or two after this one ran on the cover of a magazine here in the US and once you lay the Magazine title and all associated text elements, the composition settles in nicely.

Thanks for the look!

Kaushik Balakumar
10-15-2008, 06:32 PM
Lovely image with excellent BG. I personally wuould agree with Juan's comments on composition, but u've justified ur reason for opting centered composition too & it does make sense if it has to be on a magazine cover.

Simon Bennett
10-15-2008, 07:39 PM
I like the singing pose, detail and background. The perch is fine by me.