PDA

View Full Version : Brown Pelican

denise ippolito
10-14-2008, 12:33 PM
Canon 30D
EF 70-200 mm
ISO-100
1/250 sec at f/9

I need to bump this up a bit. but I like the softer colors in BG. I don't know if the shadow is a problem . Let me know

Alfred Forns
10-14-2008, 02:04 PM
I think the shadow detracts Denise Best solution is setting up a good sun angle. I understand that lots of fine images are made with side light but in general you will be better off with direct lighting. Experiment and compare ... this is the first one :)

You can soften the shadow with fill flash !!!

Oscar Zangroniz
10-14-2008, 02:47 PM
I like your portrait on this one Denise. Excellent eye contact and background. Maybe a tad of saturation on the bird only might get your desired result.
Regards,

Gus Cobos
10-14-2008, 05:10 PM
Hi Lady Denise,
I like your portrait of Mr. Pelican, you have sharp details and a good head angle with a clear eye...however its a shame that you were dealing with the harsh sun light. This is why the colors look a little bit washed out. if you notice the shadow cast just to the left of the bill; you need to watch the light at all times. The sun needs to be at your backside to get even lighting...as part of your home work, I want you to go out in harsh sun light on purpose and practice looking at were the sun is lighting up your subject, and watch for the shadows...I know its difficult at first, but you need to practice this exercise in lighting control...Photography is all about light, no more, no less...:) Once you mastered lighting, then you will be free to compose and be creative...before you squeeze the shutter, I want you to look at the subject, look at the background, look at the foreground and look at how the light plays in the composition before you create the picture in camera. the more you practice this discipline, the better you will be; and the less post processing you will need to do in the computer...so; young lady, you have work to do...now make me proud...:):cool: