PDA

View Full Version : The Fawns

Chris Hansen
10-14-2008, 12:22 PM
A pair of Blacktail Deer fawns look to their mother for reassurance that this big guy with the camera isn't out to eat them. Of interesting note is the fur on the fawn on the left. On close inspection of the original raw image the roughed up hair on its side appears to have blood on it. The mortality rate of fawns in the area I live in is very high due to Mountain Lions.

Canon 10D
Canon 100-400 IS @ 385
Bogen 3021 Tripod w 3055 ballhead
ISO 100
F5.6 @ 1/250th sec
Canon shutter release RS-80N3

CC always welcome.
God Bless

chris

Chris Hansen
10-14-2008, 01:01 PM
It probably just got scraped by a branch in the forest or possibly kicked by a doe. It 's just that the blood made me immediately think of predators.

Good light to all,

Chris

Jasper Doest
10-16-2008, 04:28 AM
Beautiful light you had here chris...I like the low angle here and I would say that with just a bit more sharpness and some more space around you'd have a winner in my book. The tails of these fawns look really cute....and the roughed up hair is great too....the reed in fron of the head is slightly distracting...but that is a minor thing.

Steve Canuel
10-17-2008, 12:50 AM
Hi Chris,
I like the light and the poses you've captured here. Good seperation between the two. I like the FG grasses (although not the one blocking the face) and the BG color is interesting and a good contrast with the FG colors for my taste. Like the fluffy look of the fawns. Looks like they could use a tiny bit of sharpening.
Steve

Robert Amoruso
10-18-2008, 10:46 AM
I like the image for the reasons mentioned above. Good composition and the alertness of the fawns adds visual interest.

I do feel though the contrast and saturation are too high. I posted the image below that used a curves adjustment with a reverse s-curve (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20434) and a Hue/Saturation adjustment with a -55 red and +3 yellow. The red are saturated to the point of losing color and when I toned down the contrast with the reverse s-curve they became worst. It stills has a bit too much magenta for my taste but the original tiff would be easier to work on.